All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:35 pm

Post subject: Problems with Magic and Cavalry
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Me and my friend played out first game a few nights ago and I loved the game, but I did feel sorry for my rohan buddy fielding an all cavalry force. He got wiped really well and I was wondering if you guys think that magic is underpriced and cavalry are not strong enough.

I mean 3 different shamans in my opinion are guaranteed 3 spells a turn! Sarumon almost seems not worth it at that point, because for 60 more points I can have 3 instant spells, and it seemed to us that this magic is very powerful.

Cavalry were not that effective in my opinion. Yes, they could maybe a company of troops off the table, but when my infantry (Isengard) retaliated we caused more wounds (and we caused even more with my orcs). This lead to disordered formations which were quickly cleaned up. It just seemed that an all Cavalry army is almost impossible to play.
 Post subject: Re: Problems with Magic and Cavalry
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi crazycaptain56, funny you should mention this. I'm reconsidering the level of cavalry in my force (I might halve it) after last night's game. I think there does need to be an open board and a decent line of heavy foot to screen them. Otherwise, they are only half as durable point-for-point and suffer heavily from attrition due to spells, missile weapons and warmachines. Having them at such a size that they will remain effective for more than a few turns also bumps up their cost relative to infantry. If you can make them last though, a unit or two can really pay off. Their double move is 20", and they charge another 7-12", so with the flank arcs being what they are in WOTR you can start beating up on units while minimising what you take back. They are hard work to use well though, and Saruman in particular is a real threat to them. He can generally be wherever the Cav are visible to put the hurt on them, so either he has to go or the cav need to be going second - not something you can plan on.

I think I am not alone in stating unequivically that I'd take Saruman over three Ruin Shamans anyday. He's probably good for at least two spells a turn (exsicate is only focus 2!) and his free Epic Ruination means that his spell arsenal is simply lethal. It generally doubles the kills some of those spells would be getting. He also adds other perks on top, not least of these is his 50% ability to stop charges and the fact he bounces around like all Epics. Shamans are just duel targets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with taking Saruman over three shamans.

I've never found magic to be too powerful. I don't use it, instead I field Heroes capable of duelling any magician.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Interesting, thanks for the responses.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
I agree with taking Saruman over three shamans.

I've never found magic to be too powerful. I don't use it, instead I field Heroes capable of duelling any magician.

You haven't used a lot of magic, though, being a Gondor player. I think that magic is over powered. I also agree with the saruman thing. Having mobile magic is a lot more useful than grounded. But instead of Saruman, I would use another 10 points and get 2 nazgul.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that the best way of using cavalry is the doL amroth battlehost, because they are almost unbeatable!
for wizards nazgul, the mouth of sauron and queen beruthiel are still better then shamans,+that goblin wizard(I forgot his name) is also epic