All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:02 pm

Post subject: Mumaks...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey all I'm going to have a game against a Battlehost of Mumaks, I will be facing at LEAST 3 of them, (from the Battlehost book)...I am wondering if there are any tried and true tactics/tips on how to get effectively kill them.

I will be fielding a Erebor Host with 2 ballistas, 2 companies of Vault Wardens, 2c. of KGuard, and a Kings Champion. It looks like the best thing I can do is 1) prevent the Mumaks from trampling - cause they do a straight line 3D6" and basically auto-slaughter and I have to pray to the Gods that they don't end on top of a unit AND 2) looks like I will have to get lucky with missile fire to bring em down. Since dwarves aren't the most mobile force; attempting to stay mobile and getting the missile troops time to do their thing is going to be hard.....SOOOOOOOOooooooooo....any ideas?

-Scar :puppy:

Post subject: Re: Mumaks...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

get some magic in there. entangle means that if they move they take D6 hits :) not sure who is the best man for the job, but look into it.
you'll need ballistas for sure, if you can get them in terrain then its hard for them to be taken out. this way they can wail away at them all game long (dont forget mumaks are an elevated position, so you can shoot over other formations)

you will lose alot to them cause they are OP, but if you prepare correcly you can win.

i havent had a whole lot of exp with them, so you need more advice from others
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

1. Take small formations. Occupy defensible terrain. Mumaks can't touch you because once they hit defensible terrain they stop and suffer D6 autohits themselves. Obviously they can't stand on you so they can't force you to fall back and autodestroy yourself.
2. Ever heard of Epic Rampage/Epic Rage combo? Charge something like Khazad Guard with Gimli into Mumak, call both, watch him die. Hopefully you called a Heroic combat with another hero to charge into the next one in the same turn if he's nearby and take him out too.
3. Entanlge or Transfix, but if you're playing themed Dwarf army you don't have these.
4. Mumaks are only ever overpowered if the player also fields a hero with Overlord and knows what to do with it while his opponent is inexperienced in dealing with a Mumak or doesn't have the right means to do it.

What points are you playing btw?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Anything with Epic Shot can severely hurt Mumaks and Artillery also has a really good chance to hurt it. You don't need to kill it just stack some wound counters and then wait for it to stampede it may seem random but as soon as it hits terrrain or another Mumak it's dead.

First (and so far only) time I took a Mumak with my Fallen Realms army I took three wounds to Artillery turn one and then failed the Stampede test on a ten. Sure it's not statisically likely but the Mumak has been sidelined for now until I start playing larger games.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BlackMist: as for #2; wouldn't I have to also call Heroic Combat and Rampage/Rage, only if I didn't have priority and was about to get charged by a Mumak in the 1st place?

2k points and I'm basing my army around the Erebor Battlehost.
As it stands I will have:
Erebor BattleHost (75pts)
Murin's Guard 3c (190pts)
Warrior 3c (120pts)
Warrior 3c (120pts)
Bow 3c (105pts)
KG 2c (I only have enough for 2c) (100pts)
VWard 2c (Only enough for 2c) (140pts)
Ballista x2 (Only have 2) (120pts)
KChamp x1 (Have another one) (175pts)
Dain (200pts)
Gimili (175pts)
Floi (90pts) (to negate Mumak terror)
Hornblower x2 (30pts)
Radagast (160pts)
Fates::
Baruk-Khazad (going to place upon my KG formation) (75pts)
Khazad Ai-menu (on whichever formation in position to best us it) (75pts)
Master Craftsmen (ballista formation) (50pts)

total:: 2k

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
BlackMist: as for #2; wouldn't I have to also call Heroic Combat and Rampage/Rage, only if I didn't have priority and was about to get charged by a Mumak in the 1st place?

Mumak charging does no harm. Mumak Trampling is the problem and you can't charge him before he tramples - not in WotR at least. So stay away about 16" before he moves, then he moves towards you on average 11, you position yourself in a way that if he charges, he can only charge your command company with Gimli in (if he charges another company, your Rampage won't work). If he doesn't charge, you charge him into a spot where it's easy for you to get a heroic combat so you can charge another Mumak once you killed this one. To kill you'll have about 12 attacks wounding on 3s, so thats 8 hits and 8 extra rolls for another 6 hits, then 4 hits, then 2 or 3 hits, then another 2, then say 1, that gives you a total of 23-ish hits, so in 12 rolls on the RtK table you should take him out. If in doubt, get an Epic Strike too.

As for the army:
"Floi (90pts) (to negate Mumak terror)" - you have Courage 6 which can't be modified in the Battlehost, you shouldn't worry about Terror.

You've taken 3 Fortunes, you're only allowed 2 for 2k games. I would drop Floi and 1 fate and get something else - perhaps second King's Champion since you have him.

I also wouldn't give Baruk Khazad to Khazad Guard - they already have S5 with +1, so they wound most things on 4s or 3s even. I'd rather give it to a bigger formation that will benefit more because of more attacks - like 3x Warriors.