All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:08 am

Post subject: Help with LOTR diorama.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

G'day gents,

I'm considering a diorama entry into Golden Demon, Australia. The models on the diorama would be Sauron and Isildur (the same models from the GW kit and I'll get them in finecast). Anyway, the painting isn't the issue; I know how to do that (more or less, prob's isn't up to competition standard though).

This is where I thought I'd bring you guys into it. To make the diorama piece "pop" I had the idea of having slow flowing lava creek or river (wouldn't be too big of course). This would be to represent "Mount Doom" just nearby.

Anyway, my local independent hobby store has some "pour in water" effects which look good but I have never used.

Do you think that perhaps I could use that or something similar and say use inks and paints somehow to make the lava its appropriate redish colour?

If so how would I do this?

If you have any help or advice (even if not related to the lava), please reply.

Post subject: Re: Help with LOTR diorama.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's Woodland scenics realistic or scenic water right? :) I haven't used their stuff but I hear good things about them...Just make sure you can paint over the product, before you buy it.

This should help: https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/cont ... id=1998552 ...Download the pdf file, then scroll down to the fifth page.

There's also the balrog painting guide on here, since molten lava is sort of like fire....

You're welcome :-D
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lol Elros just as you replied to my post I was repliing to one of your regarding dain Ironfoot and some goods colours.

Any way painting on top of the water sounds good. I know one guy that actualy painted the water bed fisrt and then poured it and the colour showed through.

Ill have a look at the link and tell you what I think.

Anyway thanks more advise is appreciated becasue I am serious about this entry and hoping Ill get past the local stage of South Australia.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have always wanted to enter a daemon, need to work on my blending a bit though.

Anyway, the problem with water effects is that it will end out translucent, I find that will probably look rather unrealistic for lava. lava is normally opaque. It will look better IMHO to just use red paint. Then work your way to orange then white at the centre of the river.
A good guide.
http://simbattleboard.blogspot.com/2010/03/lava.html

An eccentric hattapunk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
the problem with water effects is that it will end out translucent, I find that will probably look rather unrealistic for lava. lava is normally opaque. It will look better IMHO to just use red paint

Your lava looks very nice by the way. I think you can give the lava a more 3 D effect with water effects by adding a thin layer of water effects between some of the layers as you paint it. A very tiny amount of glitter can be used to give the spark effect. Try neon yellow. I saw this done with an Ice flow river river section. The ice blocks were painted between the clear layers and it looked like the ice was floating in the water. You could do the same with lava.
I have not done a lava board. Sadly I did not take a photo of the river section it would have won awards hands down.
I am suggesting that you make a pool like I did for this 40k section. Use yellow as the base coat and paint the lava on top of it. The light will reflect from under side and will make a cool effect. I made the bubble effect with glass beads.
I used the still water for these wells. You should be able to paint the darker lava colors on top of the still water.
Image Image
you could also imbed stones in resin to give the impressions they were floating on the lava. Just use lava colors instead of earth tones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeh you fellas are right the water effects is meant for ....well... water not lava.thank you all for showing some pictures and sites they are supa helpful.I think il use some sort of puty watered down and then paint it, slowly building up from dark red to white just as most of you say.

Thanks gents.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If i end up with a finished poduct( i intend to) Il posts pics .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I found a photo of the ice river. You could do the same thing with lava colors. The clear resin gave the impression that the broken Ice was floating.