All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:11 am

Post subject: Ebobs Paintballers review
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hey all,
i hope i may post this here but anyway ill get staight to the point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A review of Ebob paintballers
By Fatty-Bolger

Introduction: Ebob started back in the late part of 2004 making pewter miniatures for war games, which include such ranges as ‘the Great Escape’, ‘ Iron Cross’ and his ever so growing fantasy range. Since then Ebob has been selling to sculpting supplies to budding sculptors all across the world and last year he launched his new range of miniatures ‘the tribes of the east’. Now Ebob has out done himself again by releasing a totally new miniature game called ‘Paintballers’.

The packing: these miniatures were packed in a standard Ebob type blister, which is a good blister that is re-useable for storing unpainted miniatures will is a real bonus.

The size? First off I bet your wondering what size the new paintballers are. They like many others of his miniatures are 28mm scale. As you can see below this is the size of a paintballers compared to one of Ebobs Lone Wolf*.

The Marshall miniature: As many of most likely know in paintball a Marshall is the equivalent of a footballs referee and makes sure no one breaks the rules or cheats in the game. As you can see below in the green version of a Marshall he poses seem to be a little off and many complained about the weird pose of model, with such comment such as:

“Taking a leak halfway through a game”

But this pose is very true to life as in many pictures this is the pose that Marshall’s prefer for safety reasons ;)
Please see below.

This miniature has to be one of the most detailed sculpts I have seen in a while as it clearly reads on the front and back of the figure -‘Marshall’. The quality of casting of this miniature is 100% on mine, as there is no imperfections or mould lines.

Paintballer 1: paintballer 1 has a great pose in my opinion, you can just imagine him behind a oil drum or peeking round a corner ready to shoot another play on the opposite team. It is an easy model to paint and is a nice clean sculpt. Yet again no mould lines were on the models but there was a lump of metal in-between the arm and the gun – but this was easily removed causing no damage to the model.
Below are greens of the model.

Paintballer 2: the pose of this model is a paintballer running to either rush the other team or heading for cover. The detail on this sculpt is amazing. On the right arm of the model there is a watch cleanly sculpted on to the model, even though watches are meant to worn on the left wrist. Yet again on this model has no mould line or flash on it.
Here is the model green.

Paintballer 3: the paintballer 3 model is close to the paintballer 1 pose though this time he is on his knees and not crouching. Yet again this models looks as if he is sniping some poor play out or is behind cover shooting. It is a very practical and true to life pose – like all of the models in this range.
Here’s the model green:

Paintballer 4: paintballer 4 is nice model yet again, he looks as if he is hiding around the corner and is about to pop out and shoot you in a blink of a flash. Yet again no mould lines or flash on this model.
Here’s the model green:

Paintballer 5: Paintballer 5 is sadly the worst posed model for me. As I don’t know what he meant to be being apart he looks like as if he would be looking down into a trench to me. At first he appears to be running but due to how his legs are sadly I don’t think he could be. His legs look to be giving out on him as he does look like he is going to fall to the ground. Apart from that he has no mould lines or flash on him.
Here’s the model green:

Paintballer 6: this model has to be my personal favourite of mine, he looks as he is peeping above a tall stack of creates or firing from a trench. There is the slightest mould line on this model but I only just found it by looking very carefully and you can’t really tell it there. One slight problem of the model though is that him or paintballer 5 don’t have a team band on there arms. But these can be fixed with a bit of green or Ebob did say when a production mould is made he can have the chance to correct this problem then.
Here’s the model green:

The Game: As some of you might or might not know that Ebob is bring out a simple game to use these model in – after reading the rules it is a simple and fun game to play. Thought to play it with the hex bases to need 2 single hexes and 4 of the standard 6 hex bases. This game will be available to download soon and if you don’t want to use the Kallistra hex system there are rules at the back of document for playing with out the hex system.

Conclusion: Overall these are extremely nice models with no mould line or flash, they come in six excellent poses and a detailed Marshall, with the game to out soon with them I can see why this range of models would be a huge hit for Ebob and I would one day look forward to seeing more models for this range. Plus I do believe soon there will be a bunker out soon for your paintballers.

Thank for reading,
Bolger

You can visit Ebob website at http://ebobminiatures.com

Here are some pictures of painted paintballers ‘in game’.

Thanks to Ebob Miniatures for the pictures.

* The lone wolf model if not available any more so please do not sent mass emails asking if there are any left, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:33 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Somewhat off topic for a LOTR website, but none-the-less an excellent review of Ebob's latest releases. Thanks Fatty

These are superbly sculpted figures and (as far as I am aware), target a genre that hasn't yet been explored by other mini companies. An innovative idea Ebob and some very dynamic (yet natural) poses you've captured there. Your sculpting has improved out of sight since your first releases, and that's saying something!

They look really fun to paint and the game sounds very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Perfect proportions, dynamic poses, nice details! Lovelly minis!

I bet these will be very popular and maybe one day there's a new set to develop the range, maybe with some more poses or different weapons.

Paintballer n.5 seems to be changing the ball magazine... or maybe he's trying to un-jam the weapon. Sometimes it happens!

Best of lucks with these, mr. Ebob!

Nice review Danny. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:10 am 
Pretty cool, I don't know if I will or won't buy them but they are nice sculpts and the whole set together painted up looks cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:14 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice review Mr Bolger of an innovative idea from Ebob.

I wonder will anyone try painting them with a paintball gun? :-)

Hopefully the Medievals will be along soon (he is churning them out this year!) and I hope the boat is back in stock... curiously, I need 3 of those...

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice models. Ebob's work just keeps on getting better and better.

Perhaps it might even be a good idea to give all imperial guardsmen paint pistols instead of lasguns, they'll cause a lot more damage that way :lol: