All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:55 am

Post subject: Force on Force - looking for inspiration
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

in all the wrong places.

I am hoping to get into this game in a big way over the coming months and am looking for resources regarding the conditions that modern soldiers are fighting in, especially for the war in Afghanistan. I hope to make a 900mm x 900mm table with a number of buildings representing the typical terrain that exists in the battlefields of this conflict. Does anyone know of any photo websites that shows this sort of thing?

I will post pics of my progress once I make a start on it all, but I've drawn a blank so far.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Force on Force - looking for inspiration
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't know the game, but I wondered if you are you going for a desert-board or more like a city-board (Kabul-fights etc) ?

Next Sunday I'm visiting a military show (http://www.wingsandwheels.be) where some of my friends are in a reenactment-group doing the Airborne-group... There are many more reenactment-groups and a convention, but most are of course about WWII (since we were a little involved in that..).

But there are always other groups which go for other wars, such as Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Those reenactment-groups usually handle historically and logistically as right as possible.
If I encounter an Afghanistan-reenactment group, I'll try to find some answers where to look for info, or if there's anything worth to photograph, I'll do so.

If there's anything more specific you need to know, let me know and I'll see if I can find answers there... (or if you want something from other wars for other games or so
(well, no SF or Fantasy I bet... ;-) I could of course try to reenact a fantasy war and dress myself as an orc there.. but I bet I would look like a total fool then...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

LOL!!! Brilliant reply Bart, thanks!

Yes please, if there is anything there to photograph, then please do. I am looking to make a small city block, a back street in an old Afghan city like Kabul or Kandahar. Somewhere that the US Marines could set up overwatch on a rooftop while assaulting Taliban forces - or something.

And please take a photo next time you dress up as an Orc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey Alan,

might be a long shot, but you could try news websites, like the BBC, for any reports on warzones, and just use the background as inspiration.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Turned back from the convention.... but sadly enough didn't get a chance to talk with the only group there who were into the modern warfare...
Although, I was told by other groups that they find the best info, especially for the moderner wars on... you-tube... I never would have though of that myself, but I guess it is a good idea though! Hehe...

So... wish I could help more, but I'm afraid not... Most of it all was WWII-related...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Youtube - thousands of videos from Afghanistan, taken over the past 10 years, mostly by troops serving there. Be warned - some of the material is very much 'in your face'.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Chris. Yes, I watched a few videos from Iraq the other day and was astounded at the way in which the armed forces conduct themselves. I don't wish to start a conversation about it though as this isn't really the place for it.