All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:45 pm

Post subject: Boromir WIP PIC HEAVY
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My first thread! I will by updating the community with my progress on the Boromir model from the MoM set. Please excuse my spelling errors as I'm writing this on my iphone while I work. Please provide critisism! I need it. I'm new to this.

The whole model was based with flat(ish) black spray paint. I seem to be the only one that starts with bases. I start with the base because I can be more precise on a boot than I can be a large rock. This base is a broken block from a Hirst Art mold. It's mean to look like a piece of granite in moria hence the pebbles surrounding it.

The pebbles were dry brushed with a Chaos Black/Codex Grey mix. The Granite was based with above mix. Then dry brushed many times with shades getting closer to Skull White. And eventually with Skull White. The Pebbles were then given a VERY light dry brush with Skull White.

Next I moved to the red cloak. I created a dark Red Gore/Chaos Black mix which I undercoated the cloak with. Then I applied a homemade wash (watered down Chaos Black). To pick up the deep folds of the flowing cloak. My attempt at a pure Red Gore "highlight" was then added.

While that dried I added a tidy drybrush layering of Boltgun Metal--> Chainmail --> Mithril Silver. I'm not one to wait for paint to dry.

At this point I've been working for 45 minutes.

In Tomes Of Wisdom there is a brilliant step-by-step article on painting Boromir. In this article I stumbled upon the idea of adding Dark Flesh to the red/pinks you create to still keep them looking realistic. I mixed Dark Flesh into Red Gore and added a drop or two (with my brush) of Skull White to achieve a somewhat pink/red color that seemed a bit to pink but looked fine when added as a highlight layer to the cloak.

While that layer is drying I started to take a stab at the shield (pun intended). I painted the bronze(?) part with a mix of Red Gore/Dark Flesh probably around 1:1. I attempted to not touch the edge, check. And to not touch the center, which will later be silver/gold, not check. I painted over but removed most of that with a paper towel.

A last highlight of pure Skull White is applied sparingly to the highest points. And after touching up the "bump" on the shield its time to call it a night.

It is going on 2am but who needs sleep right?:)

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40

Last edited by draked on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Boromir WIP
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey Draked! Welcome to the one ring and thanks for your post. You are doing a great job so far. The base looks excellent as does the work on the cloak and shield. Clearly you have been reading up on painting techniques and washes and mixes etc etc. It's all coming together really well. And I know painting the plastic models from the MoM set is not that rewarding because of lack of detail in some of them - although the Boromir sculpt is OK. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Keep going!! :-D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:33 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Boromir is looking good already draked! Lovely base. And you're not the only person that starts with the base, as I start with the base on the majority of my minis also.

I look forward to seeing this thread progress.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks really good...loving how you mounted him! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the support guys! It's much appreciated! Is there anything you notice yet that needs redone or improved before I move in to other parts? As for cameraquality most WIP pics at this point will just be taken with my phone. I'll grab a real camera when it starts getting serious!
I should be getting back to work late tonight!

edge67 wrote:
And I know painting the plastic models from the MoM set is not that rewarding because of lack of detail in some of them - although the Boromir sculpt is OK.

I've always found it fun to paint all my models!:) and from what I've read, I've painted some of the "boringest". Moria Goblins and Warriors of Minis Tirith.
But this, of course, is material for a new thread! Or possibly has already been addressed? If so feel free to point me there!
Thanks again for the supportive amd emcouraging comments!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

After looking at my work from last night the highlights look a bit bright. I'll leave it be for now but may look into applying a "homemade" wash later. I had originally planned on giving him a black overcoat and after looking at the the previously mentioned article I was sure of my original plan. After going over the article again I realized that the author has it right. The Shadow Grey highlights create a more dynamic contrast and the effect is rather pleasing. Tonight I will (hopefully) complete the overcoat and at that point we shall decide the next step.

Looking at the model again...I screwed up. The cloak beneath the over coat goes much further to Boromirs left (our right) than I had previously realized... This is bittersweet. I've more work to do that I though I'd finished but there will be more red resulting in a greater contrast! There's a silver lining in everything!

I rebased all of the undercoat minus sleeves with a Chaos Black/Red Gore mix. Older areas received a more concentrated wash but all of undercoat wash washed with watered down Chaos Black.

As that dried (I don't wait, remember?!) I continued work on the overcoat by adding more Shadow Grey to the existing mix and adding broad highlights.

First highlight on cloak Dark Flesh/Red Gore. Second highlight just used the above mix with more Red Gore added. I'm already starting to like this a lot better!

The next highlight on the overcoat is a 1:1 mix of Shadow Grey and Chaos Black. Now Chaos Black/Shadow Grey. Can't give a ratio but more Shadow Grey than Chaos Black.

A pure Red Gore highlight is added.

I'm not at a stopping point. But lightening and thunder have pushed me inside.

These pictures of today's work are VERY unflattering and I wish to tell you it actually does look better. The stray grey stroke on the cloak will be attended to. I really should start using a quality camera soon.

Drake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That' s a nice Boromir, mine is almost entirely purple :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

really nice basing by the way it looks really realistic and nice smooth red cloth :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
That' s a nice Boromir, mine is almost entirely purple :)

Wow! Id like to see a photo of that!

king elessar 2615 wrote:
really nice basing by the way it looks really realistic and nice smooth red cloth :)

Thank you! Hopefully I'll get back to it tonight to smooth it out more!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

He's really starting to come along nicely, good job so far :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Red Corsairs wrote:
He's really starting to come along nicely, good job so far :)

Ditto that! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's looking good so far. My only comment would be that the last highlight on his arm is too pink, try toning it back a bit. And I would say if you could put one more slightly more contrasty highlight on the lower cloth that would be good, imho. (that's judgeing from the 3d picture)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

theavenger001 wrote:
It's looking good so far. My only comment would be that the last highlight on his arm is too pink, try toning it back a bit. And I would say if you could put one more slightly more contrasty highlight on the lower cloth that would be good, imho. (that's judgeing from the 3d picture)

I Agree with you, lower cloth is yet to be finished but as for sleeves, would I tone that down by washing?

Edit: thought I'd add that I didn't get to work tonight. :( I spent my evening watching the first two movies and casting Hirst Art blocks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh I'm kidding myself if I say I'm not working :)

Stray stroke cleaned up, red cloak highlighted with Red Gore plus a little Dwarf Flesh.

Overcoat given pure Shadow Grey highlight and a wash/glaze of Shadow Grey watered down with a tad of Chaos Black.

Now I will highlight with Skull White/Shadow Grey.

Cloak with Elf Flesh/Skull White/Red Gore.

Not to sure how I like highlighting on overcoat it doesn't lead into the brightest parts it seems to just pop. Suggestions for this are very welcomed. Almost as welcome as the elves were to Helms Deep.

Based bracer and back of shield with Dark Flesh and a bit of Chaos Black. Big Sean is providing musical background via my phone tonight. Keeping me going.

Hit belt and the sheath with the same brown. Boots are next.

All brown parts except boots were drybrushed with a lighter brown. Bracer was highlighted. I apologize for my poor writing this evening, I'm focusing on my brush and model.

Metal on end of belt and end of sheath. Boltgun Metal->Chainmail->Mithril Silver.

Well my closest thing to brown is Dark Flesh. Should be buying some browns this week. I've got drivers ed. in the morning so I really shouldn't be up this late, but it was worth it ehh? :)

Pics with a DSLR Macro lens tomorrow? I think so :)

Post subject: Re: Boromir WIP PIC HEAVY
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks as if it has undergone a sudden transformation. Looking a LOT better. It's amazing what some extra highlights can do to a mini. Nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He is coming along nicely!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ahh, tht sleeve is looking better now. As the others said, good job. Isn't it fun seeing a minature go from a hunk of grey to a well crafted work of art? Those last couple of highlights really make the minature 'pop'.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

this is coming along really well and is tarting to develop into a superbly painted minature well done :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks to all! Expect more work, maybe face and hair this evening along with better pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

draked wrote:
Thanks to all! Expect more work, maybe face and hair this evening along with better pictures!

Lookin' forward to it! :)