All times are UTC

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:31 pm

The Fortress of Minas Tirith should I replace the gate house with one more like the movie?
replace the gate house 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
leave it alone and work on figures first 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
replace the the center section too 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: The Fortress of Minas Tirith
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My friend David purchased this model from Castle Works in April of 1998.
He was a very big LOTR fan. Sadly he passed away before the movie came out. I had it in storage and had to move in order to begin repairs in my shop. I decided to take this opportunity to restore the model.It needs repairs and new paint. I am thinking some more details to make it look more like a city would add to the appearance of the model. I will add doors and hatch ways and may be roofs to some of the towers.

I only have about have enough men of Gondor to defend about half of the model so I will need to paint lots more.

The model is in a different style than the movie and only has three levels.
Making the model three levels was deliberate so that the model could be a reasonable size. I have laid siege to the model many times and it is very playable.

I am going to begin with new paint , but I was thinking It would be possible to replace the gate and gate house with one that looks more like the movie. I would like to Know your thoughts on this.

I do not think Tim produces this model any more. I would buy his new one if I had a place to put it.

http://www.modelcastles.biz/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's a really nice castle. I wouldn't replace the front gate because from the pictures it looks like it would be rather difficult because the piece fits so well and also because I gate that looks more like the movie's minas tirith would not fit this castle. Good luck with the restoration, please post lots of WIP pictures.

Post subject: minas tirith
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
A gate that looks more like the movie's minas tirith would not fit this castle.

That is what I am afraid of.

Lots of people react to the model by saying it does not look like the movie. So I put the poll in the post. There are a lot of smart artistic knowledgeable gamers and painters on this site so I would like suggestions.

Special note. I did not design or build this model so you are not going to hurt my feelings with any comment. The model was constructed in 1998 as a special commission and the builder has a very nice updated current version for sale.

I want your opinions or I would not ask. If you cant think of anything to say vote.
Thanks

Post subject: on end
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

click to enlarge

I am going to add texture to the streets. I think David intended to add lift out doors and hatch ways to the towers there are none one the model. I think I should build lots of detail pieces and put them on small magnets so not to ruin the model with permanent changes .

Comments about what to do with my army of Gondor are welcome

Post subject: siege battle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So far most of you think I should work on figures first. I think I have enough bad guys. so I should work on Gondor first. I have three bolt throwers I need to finish for a little AAA. I am not sure if the stone thrower will fit the tower. I will paint it. I have six companies of men of Gondor and three companies of archers ready. I will need at least that many for the other side of the city.
My camera is so old it uses floppy disk but some friends have volunteered cameras for a siege battle please make suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'd say leave it all the same.It looks magnificent,and its perfectly all right to not match the movie. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All I have to say is, good thing you got it from a friend on a special commission, because those prices are INSANE :shock:

Well, I do have some other things to say. Work on your army, not the castle. I would not recommend recontruction of any sort, but if you really think work needs to be done on it, a drybrush I suppose couldn't hurt.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

another idea is to use it as a different castle... tecnically it doesnt have the 7 layers of minas tirith, nore the pire of rock that looks like a ships keel pointing south...you could consider using it as the strong hold of dol amroth or possibly another stronghold of gondor intended to resemble their beloved white city... plus the bolt throwers etc are actually considered part of both armies in the rule book... but no matter what i would leave the gatehouse the way it is... to try and fabricate one that fits the movie wont do enough to cause people to see it as minas tirith, you would need the rock, and the layout... but none the less, this would be a great castle to play on. but as many others have said, i would work on your armies instead of a major redesign... just my two cents...