All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am

Post subject: Morden's War of the Ring Mordor army thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello and Welcome to my war of the ring mordor army thread for tale of the painters project.

After a test game at the local GW i found this game to be very fun and One of the fast paced games i have ever played in wargaming. We played 1500pts in about 30 minutes and That was 2 newbies playing it.

Non the less i was pretty impressied with the game what i like different is there is no armour or invunable saves at all so no one is really safe apart when inside a formation and Kill your enemy first to. Cav and monsters are the killing machines in the game but even infantry can hold the line against such odds. The funnyist and proberly the most unforgiving rule is the charging roll even if you 1 inch away and roll a 1 its automatic failure which can totally turn the game around for you or against you.

Anyways enough of that short rant i am still working on my 2000pts list the now its proving hard with all the nice power formations you can take. To start me off i have bought a box of mordor orcs and box of isengard scout uruk-hia which i am going to convert in to mordor uruk-hia to save me some cash at £7 for 3 thats gonna be a whooping £56 for the 3 formations of them so £15 box set is better and cheaper.

I have decided to give my uruks 2handed weapons the bonus is nice and -1 fight skill will not really effect them when led bye shagrat him being f6. My first update will be 2 formations of uruks with 2handed weapons and 2 mordor orcs with shields i shall have a few pictures later.

Gonna end the post there and Shall update more later. Oh yeah if any of the fellow Wotr players could give me some advice on what formations to take,etc? I mostly thinking horde with few trolls and Some easterling allies.

Cheers.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great! Keep us posted! 8)

www.YouTube.com/LotrWarhammer24
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry i forgot to mainly mention that i am doing this from another forum which we called a project called tale of the painters so our task is to paint a 2000pt army in the space of 10 months so 200 points per month so thats the challenge.

its time for the first update here is what consists of my first 200pts.
box of mordor orcs which has 24 figures 8 handweapon & shields, 8 spears, 4 bowmen, 4 2handed weapons, I shall only be using 8 handweapon & shields, 8 spears right now till i can afford another box to make up 2 formations which of 8 which is standard.

When i acquire another box ill be able to make 1 formation of bowmen and 2handed weapons along with another 2 formations of shield orcs next month.

Next was box of uruk-hai scouts my plan here was to save me some money on having to fork out for £50-70 on 3 formations of mordor uruk-hai don't get me wrong there awesome modals but with a little greenstuffing and sneakiness it should work out :D.

Now for some pictures of my WiP
Only a few minor conversions (weapons, Helmets to make the orcs abit more unique) so far i have still little more to do then basing and spraying will be done tommorrow.

Some work on my mordor uruk-hai armed with 2handed weapons so far.

Not quite done yet but there getting there i am taking my time with these guys i wanna do a good job with them. Now i have found the old shagrat modal from the lotr game here a quick pictures of the character in question...

Old modal
Latest modal (On the right)

But i had ideas. Why not make my own version? so with some doodling on the paint here a quick preview.

Quick shot with shagrat and The uruks. Let me you know your opinions on my progress and I hope i some how turn some heads in to collecting lotr/wotr game itself sometime.

Cheers until tomorrows update!.

Last edited by Morden on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice conversions! Your idea of convertin Shagrat seems promising; keep us posted. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Morden wrote:

Best. Conversion. Ever! Although, he looks a bit silver for to have already had the 'paint' treatment.

Also, that was a capybara.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can't wait to see how the mordor uruk-hai come to be. :D :yay:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shag-rat? This is a family site Morden, keep it thus, please.. ;)

Anyhow, the whole looks very promising. nice conversions.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice work, Morden. :)

Look forward to seeing your Shagrat conversion compleated.

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds promising, although I was offended by the fact I have seen the new shagrat model lol.

Anyhoo, Having the new one, i did the same with my old one. I'll snap up a piccie for you soon if you want... (well do ya...punk? :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks alot guys for the comments and advice been really helpful compare to my other forum at least.

gaarew wrote:

Best. Conversion. Ever! Although, he looks a bit silver for to have already had the 'paint' treatment.

Also, that was a capybara.

Ah, my bad i found that picture on google when looking for a picture of shagrat the uruk :P.

Corsair wrote:
Sounds promising, although I was offended by the fact I have seen the new shagrat model lol.

Anyhoo, Having the new one, i did the same with my old one. I'll snap up a piccie for you soon if you want... (well do ya...punk? :lol: )

Yea, mate that would cool do it. do it now!.

I working on my uruks still but should have more progress tommorrow on them so some more pictures of them.

So stay tuned and continue throw praise at me as you will :P.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

K, well he ain't perfect. heres an ol piccie. I removeed the shield since then because they can't have shields in WoTR for some reason O_o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great start! I love the conversions 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Looking good, I look forward to seeing more as you continue. 200 points a month... boy, I'd be painting heroes :?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another thing, it's probably best to avoid Warhammer bitz for conversions. They really don't scale well at all with the LotR range, and the Marauder arms make them look a bit more Half-Troll than Uruk-hai.

You could always try using plasticard (sheet styrene) to make some weapons, and brass rod for handles. I'm sure there are similar conversions somewhere on the site... :wink:

Your biggest challenge with this isn't going to be sorting out suitable weapons, but de-Isengard-ifying those Uruks. The greaves, the armour plating on the back of the gloves, the breastplate, the crotch guard and the helmets will need to be suitably changed, either with a cover-up job, or a complete replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks like a shagadelic conversion baby...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks everyone for comments and Stuff.

Small update some more pictures of uruks.
Taskmaster

Another 2handed weapon one but with empire flagellant arms

Uruk Drummer

For corsair, Its not even that good at all just a silly leather cap i thought of. Also thanks for uploading your version of shagrat he is very cool!.

gaarew wrote:
Another thing, it's probably best to avoid Warhammer bitz for conversions. They really don't scale well at all with the LotR range, and the Marauder arms make them look a bit more Half-Troll than Uruk-hai.

You could always try using plasticard (sheet styrene) to make some weapons, and brass rod for handles. I'm sure there are similar conversions somewhere on the site... :wink:

Your biggest challenge with this isn't going to be sorting out suitable weapons, but de-Isengard-ifying those Uruks. The greaves, the armour plating on the back of the gloves, the breastplate, the crotch guard and the helmets will need to be suitably changed, either with a cover-up job, or a complete replacement.

Yea, the more of warhammer parts are to big but empire troops and empire flagellants like the one i done further up fits really well for that one imo.
I don't think its going to be that hard the reason i chose scout ones they resemble mordor uruks the most with some added ragged cloth armour and chain mail for the arms,etc.

Also once when they are painted will make a big difference for there appearance.

Thats all for tonight more complete uruk-hia tommorrow.
Cheers!.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice job, I just thought I would point out to you that there is no Mordor Uruk-Hai Taskmaster, there is only a Drummer, Shaman and Banner Bearer. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gorgoroth wrote:
Nice job, I just thought I would point out to you that there is no Mordor Uruk-Hai Taskmaster, there is only a Drummer, Shaman and Banner Bearer. :wink:

I have one word i would like to say but i am not :-X but dam 20 minutes wasted i thought he looked great as well. I must have read it from the orc part.

Thanks for point that out, Gorgoroth.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The time wasnt wasted, just swap the head for an Orc and then it can be a Orc Taskmaster 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Or you create rules for uruk-hai taskmasters.