All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:17 am

Post subject: Legolas (November 4, 2010)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So this is my second ever sculpt, my first was also a wraith but because it was horrible its not up here. Anyway I know this needs improvement and I am open to criticism. Since I can't post links yet cause I'm new and don't know how else to post images the photos are in my gallery

Tell me what you think. Also I am thinking about another project, that is not a wraith, but am unsure what, I was thinking maybe a troll, however i wanna know what you guys think i should do. Thanks.

Last edited by Noddwyr on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 26 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well based on your picture its obvious that you should go pro with sculpting....... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice wraith. My only problem with it is that it is about the size of a dwarf or a hobbit.

In terms of what else you could sculpt, how about sculpting a shade or a barrow white. They are often easier to sculpt than living creatures.

Practice makes perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Wow! You're off to a running start! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice work. It's an excellent sculpt. Like samoht, I have a criticism, which isn't actually the scale. the size of it is fine, but the problem 9that makes the model appear smaller) is that his buttocks appear to be somewhere IN the horse, similar to a lego person. If you can take him off and stick something under him to that he seems to be more sat ontop of the horse, it will be a perfect sculpt.

Please take that constructively as it's incredibly excellent work, especially for a second sculpt, but that one thing will make it perfect!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Hashut's Blessing I see you point about him no having a butt, so I will try to take him off and do something about that. Also perhaps he is a little to small, but i think that is mostly the fact that the legs are a little short, what do you think samoht?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

High Elf General wrote:
Well based on your picture its obvious that you should go pro with sculpting....... :P

Sorry, didnt read the "look at my gallery." part. :?

Very good sculpt though. The size of it does appear small, but still incredible job.
The horse seems large, maybe thats why the rider looks small, i really dont have much more to critisize on!!

:yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No worries. And thanks. So I tried to take the wraith of the horse but decided that it was too much work at the moment, cause i would have to cut his hands off the reins, so I'm going to leave it for now. I think I will try a barrow white next, just to get some practice with armor and faces. Thanks, samoht. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you have to take the model apart, then leave it as is. A saddlebag or some more cloak can always hide the "problem" and it's only noticeable if you're looking for ways to give criticism (as I always want people to improve, even though it's beyond what I can do :D ) and from the side angle ;)

Eagerly awaiting the barrow-wight. if you finish it quickly enough, you can enter this month's competition ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Noddwyr wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Hashut's Blessing I see you point about him no having a butt, so I will try to take him off and do something about that. Also perhaps he is a little to small, but i think that is mostly the fact that the legs are a little short, what do you think samoht?

Yeah. legs and torso, i think. But you really have done a good job apart from that. My first two sculpts were a bit to big if I remember correctly. So you just gotta keep practising. :wink:

I'm looking forward to this barrow white :D

keep it up!

Post subject: Barrow White
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey guys, I was wondering about the best way to get that tattered hole effect that the GW barrow whites have on their cloaks? I was thinking of just sculpting it without the holes and then going in their wit a xacto once dry and hacking holes into it but there might be a better way. Let me know.

Cheers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So, I am working on that barrow white but I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, will do so in the next day or 2, I am maybe 1/3rd done (at least the sculpting part). He is pretty much a replica of the GW barrow white as I thought it would be the best way to get some practice. Anyway I have a question in regarded to making the cloth look tattered and ripped, what is the best way to do it? Cheers
 Post subject: Barrow White Pictures
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So here are some barrow white pictures. He isn't anywhere near done. Ignore the top half for now as that is at the very beginning stages, and there is also some excess at the very bottom of his skirts that I have to cut off. Other than that let me know what you think.

the pictures don't seem to do him justice just now but hey. :o
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great job so far. It has got a strong resemblance to GW's, as was the goal. What are the swigly things under his armour supposed to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hahahah yeah my chain mail sucks. But it does look better on the real thing than in the picture. I was thinking about redoing it though. I'm guessing by your comment that you think I should.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It really does look quite similar to GW's. The sculpting is a little rough in some areas and could use some smoothing out, but other then that its great! :yay:

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If its ragged edges you want then you can gently cut up through the putty with a blade then move it about a bit. As for the holes, use a pointed tool such as a needle to create the hole then gently tease the putty to widen the hole. A needle point is also useful for doing chainmail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey, here are some new pics. I did a little on the barrow white, then got stuck cause I dont have a pin vice so i cant drill in to put in the guides for the arms. I know the barrow white is a little rough in patches, but I am going to try to fix that later. So i started something new as well, check it out.

yeah i know, no armature. There is a good (not really) reason for that, i built the feet separately and then had too much trouble attaching them to the armature, and the feet made it too tall. I know, newbie mistake. Anyway, now I am trying to sculpt without an armature. Let me know what you think of it so far.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

it's looking great so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They both look very good. The face on the wight is excellent though the helmet could use some more detail. You could attach thin green stuff "sausages" the body to make an armature or place two small globs of it at the shoulders and stick wires through it.
Best wishes on the troll. The right, more complete, leg looks fairly good. A little better transition from let to foot is needed as well as a bigger foot to accommodate those big toenails.