All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Post subject: Radagast with Sleigh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am seriously considering purchasing the piece (yes I've had a change of heart, but Radagast has always been a favorite of mine) and was wondering if anyone had fielded it? And if so how did it fare?

I'd imagine a spell-caster that could automatically have 5 attacks or 6 on the charge (the extra one being provided by Sebastian) with all but 1 being at str 4 would be quite effective, but with the size of the base and 200 points (if outfitted as stated above) I know he might not be worth the point cost.

Also Radagast could cast renew on his own sleigh right? If so that's a BIG plus for me towards purchasing him.

MiniWargaming
 Post subject: Re: Radagast with Sleigh
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

JamesR wrote:
I am seriously considering purchasing the piece (yes I've had a change of heart, but Radagast has always been a favorite of mine) and was wondering if anyone had fielded it? And if so how did it fare?

I'd imagine a spell-caster that could automatically have 5 attacks or 6 on the charge (the extra one being provided by Sebastian) with all but 1 being at str 4 would be quite effective, but with the size of the base and 200 points (if outfitted as stated above) I know he might not be worth the point cost.

Also Radagast could cast renew on his own sleigh right? If so that's a BIG plus for me towards purchasing him.

I would say that if you have enough points available to you (i.e. 1,000-1,500+) he is definitely worth using. Think about it: he charges you and rides you down with 5 attacks (not counting Sebastian for this bit), and then if you're infantry he wallops you with 10 attacks!!!

Let me just reiterate that because it is quite mindblowing. This is a *Wizard* with 10 attacks. Even Gandalf the White on Shadowfax can only manage 4. And then of course there's his spellcasting. Having Renew at his disposal with a free point of Will is no joke (unless of course you are the one using him), plus Panic Steed will help to deal with any cavalry that might oppose you, and Terrifying Aura should protect him from a good number of enemies wishing to charge him. The only thing to watch out for is the fact that the sleigh is only a measly Defence 3, even though it has 4 Wounds it should still die fairly easily. Regarding whether Raddy can use Renew on the sleigh, I'm afraid I've no idea off the top of my head. Be warned that your opponent will undoubtedly try to destroy the sled as soon as possible: that will leave the Brown Wizard somewhat more vulnerable.

Radagast used to be by far the weakest Wizard as far as damage was concerned, having neither a magic sword nor Sorcerous Blast at his disposal. But on the sleigh he is a force to be reckoned with in terms of the damage he can inflict. Like many models if used correctly I imagine he can be fairly high on the table of unstoppableness. :lol: In Radagast's own words: "I'd like to see them try."

Cheers,
Gandalf :gandalf:

Who leaned upon a thorny staff.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Was interesting to read this, it didnt click for me that raddy would get chariot rules or similar.
I doubt he can use renew on himself. Doesn't the description state he can't renew himself (might be under elrond or the rules descriptions for magic). As he is on the same base, he is the same model, so wouldn't be allowed. Technically he could if the sleigh was made of live wood or something though :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He doesn't renew himself, he renews his sleigh, that's not himself.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't really see the confusion regarding Renew to be honest. No-where in the spell's description does it say that Renew cannot be cast on the caster. Radagast is free to Renew either himself or the Sleigh.

As for whether he's worth it I've yet to use him on sleigh (hopefully he's only a month or two down the painting queue though!) but I've used him on foot/horse a lot recently. I think he's a really great choice. Immobilise is one of the best spells in the game when used correctly, Renew and Panic Steed are V.Useful (Panic Steed against mounted characters is particularly good) and a channelled Terrifying aura is brilliant.

As for the sleigh i think it could be brilliant, as AinurOlorin says, 6 attacks (with Seb) on the charge is fantastic and his F5 should win most fights, 12 chances to kill should be enough to wipe anything out. The main downside is the massive base size, he'll be very hard to manoeuvre into a good charging position without exposing him to a bunch of counter charges. If left on his own the enemy will find it very easy to swamp him (although even if charged he'll still get 4 F5 attacks to beat people off). Terrifying aura should counter this somewhat and frustrate an enemy counter-charge but in these days of ubiquitous channelled Fury you can't count on that. He'll clearly be a massive target for shooting too but covering him with a troop screen and Renew should mitigate that somewhat. Also, if your enemy is pummelling all his shooting into the sleigh then he's not shooting your other troops and reducing your break point. I suppose the worst part about Renewing the sleigh is that you would lost the chance to Immobilise/Panic Steed every turn.

Finally, the biggest dilemma with putting Raddy on a horse or on the sleigh is that he loses his elven cloak rule which is one of his best assets. Raddy on foot hiding behind a battleline of warriors is a deeply frustrating wizard to deal with, it's a shame to lost that boost.

Still, overall I think the sliegh looks like a lot of fun and I'll definitely be trying it out once i get mine painted up - let us know how you get on!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569