All times are UTC

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:39 am

Post subject: Boromir or Aragorn
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm sorry if there is already a post of this nature, I did a search but didn't find anything so decided to go ahead with this.

Which is better Aragorn or Boromir(King Elassar and Captain of the White Tower also)From a 500pts-750pts army perspective which would you choose and why?

Well my preferance(bearing in mind that I have never actually used either of the two in a proper battle, just from statisticle point of view) would be boromir(of gondor comparing to strider/aragorn) for a 500pts army because you get a hard hitter for 70 pts less which you can fill up with more warriors, but the lack of Fate and 1 Will are a concern if you are up against an army with a good spellcaster like the Whitch King.

Comparing Boromir of the White Tower to Aragorn King Ellesar I would still pick Boromir, yet again because it is another 85pts to spend on more warriors but this time Boromir has made up for his lack of might and fate to the extent that it matches Aragorn's but Aragorn still has Anduril and a free point of might to tilt the balance. Another thing I noticed is that Aragorn now has a base profile with more defence than Boromir's.

Please give me your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think I'd take Aragorn (strider) over Boromir of Gondor, because that free point of Might is amazingly useful. Great for scenarios. But Boromir OTWT is better than Aragorn King IMHO for a pitched battle. That banner is killer, gives him and everyone else around him +1 Fight, which puts him on par with Mordor Trolls, and even basic WoMT become good. And 6 points of Might is plenty to work with.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah that is what I was thinking :D
Because if you sent Boromir of the white tower or Aragorn king out on their own Aragorn would be better but I want them to lead the force and for those extra 85 points you could give Boromir a horse and the banner of minas tirith and still get some more warriors or give him a shield, lance and a horse, making him the perfect spearhead for a cavalry charge, and get even more warriors than with the banner of minas tirith.

Just one more thing: If you had an army with either Boromir of Gondor or Strider/Aragorn with a gondorian army would you need a captain to ally gondor with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

imo aragorn is better, with anduril and his free might he is able to kill almost anything quick. without anuril he stil had the free might wich makes him a better leader then boromir becouse he can call a heroric move every turn.
boromir isn't that amazing, six might is good but with a stock of three aragorn can make up for having only three might in 3 turns. afther that is's only profit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

But in a 500pts battle if you gave aragorn anduril he would take up half of your points which I have learned (using sauron) that is not very smart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

yep, this is quite common, people can never pick one put of the two. I would go for Aragorn wothout Anduril, the sword is good I agree, but 75 points is just OTT, thats 7-9 more soldiers!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yep but Boromir otWT or Aragorn King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

spleenful9 wrote:
Yep but Boromir otWT or Aragorn King.

hmmm.....tricky. But I will have to go for ellesar!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For 500 i would take another Gondor hero. Aragorn and Boromir are to much points for most of the scenario's.
For 750 points i would first take a look at the scenario's, is the banner important or the killing sword. In you are going to play contest of champions I would take Aragorn. For meeting engagement I would take Boromir with his banner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Arabog wrote:
For 500 i would take another Gondor hero. Aragorn and Boromir are to much points for most of the scenario's.

Would you opt for Faramir instead? Do you feel that a COMT is too weak as the sole hero? Cirion is similarly weak, but at least has an extra point of might.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In a 500 point battle, I'd opt for Boromir of Gondor, and in 750, Boromir again, CotWT. I'm a huge Boromir fan. Of course, in 500, I'd probably end up taking Faramir...

Yes, Aragorn's stock of might is incredible, easily comparable to Boromir's whopping six. However, and I've noticed that everyone has overlooked this so far, is that Boromir also holds the Horn of Gondor, the bane of orcs, goblins, and Mahud! It makes him a real troop killer- even if it doesn't work all the time, it can still get him out of a tight spot.

Also, I much prefer CotWT to Aragorn. It's not about having a ridiculously strong hero- in the end, the troops make the difference, and anything that makes them better is fine by me. On top of that, he still has the Horn, fight value 7, which is just enough to put him over the fight 6 threshold most heroes sit at, a ton of might, and his Will and Fate problem have been resolved. Anduril is good (Not AMAZING, but still incredibly good. Worth the points? I'm still debating). A free point of might per turn is fantastic. But not as good as what Boromir can do (Factoring in points cost, and all that).

It's also worth stating that CotWT is pretty overpriced without his banner. =/

Anyway, there's my two cents.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't mean to be mean( I know i sounds stupid but Ican't quite think of a word at this time so it will have to do :oops: ) but I'm really only looking for comments about wether to take Aragorn or Boromir not who you would take in a 500pts army.
Thanks for commenting though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In a 500 point army? I'd take...neither. At 200+ points each it just isn't worth it. Take this for example:

I played a guy recently who took Aragorn with Anduril and armour and the rest WoMT. He had 28 models total.

I took an alliance of Dwarves and Wood Elves led by Legolas and Gimli. I had a total of 37 models.

I tied Aragorn up with Gimli, took out his Fate and a Wound with throwing axes and Legolas' "shoot into combat" rule. Eventually Aragorn killed Gimli, but by then his force was broken. The following turn I had 6 attacks on Aragorn, who rolled poorly, and just like that I killed him. After that what few of his troops didn't flee were cut down by my Elves and Dwarves.

The score: I killed all 28 models including Aragorn.

He killed Gimli, 2 Dwarves and an Elf.

This is why it isn't wise taking one huge Hero in a small game.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spleenful9 wrote:
Which is better Aragorn or Boromir(King Elassar and Captain of the White Tower also)From a 500pts-750pts army perspective which would you choose and why?

General Haar wrote:
In a 500 point battle, I'd opt for Boromir of Gondor, and in 750, Boromir again, CotWT. I'm a huge Boromir fan. Of course, in 500, I'd probably end up taking Faramir...

spleenful9 wrote:
I don't mean to be mean( I know i sounds stupid but Ican't quite think of a word at this time so it will have to do :oops: ) but I'm really only looking for comments about wether to take Aragorn or Boromir not who you would take in a 500pts army.
Thanks for commenting though

You know, it might help if you didn't pose a question asking specifically whom people would choose and for what reason, because obviously, people will reply saying whom they would choose and they give you a reason for it, and then, after getting a very well written and thought out post, answering your question, you tell the poster that, despite the fact you have said

spleenful9 wrote:
which would you choose and why?

you then go on to say

spleenful9 wrote:
not who you would take in a 500pts army.

So, which is it to be? Do you want the reason why people would choose one over the other or not? If you do, then there was no point in your last post. If you don't, why not just create a poll with the option 'Aragorn' or 'Boromir.'

Obviously, it comes down to a number of variable factors as to which option any given member would choose. People will use different characters for different points values, scenarios etc. You can't just say 'Aragorn or Boromir'. What is the question? What should I call my first-born son? Which has more vowels?

You need to specify exactly what you are taking into account, as well as equipment options. Statistically speaking, Aragorn will always win out over Boromir in a long-running game. If you count the values for both characters stats, Boromir will be (x), whilst Aragorn will be (y+(potentially 1 per game turn)). Also, statistically speaking, once you have compared stat values, you would also then need to attribute some sort of cost to both characters in-built special rules, so that you could arrive at a valid comparison between the two.

You also need to specify which army you will be using with said characters. Is it the Fellowship, Tower of Ecthelion, Grey Company?

At the end of the day, as you admitted yourself, you are purely theorising between them. There are plenty of people who have played many a game with said characters, so when they give you the answer you asked for, accept their wisdom. Don't tell them it's not what you are after, especially as it was what you asked.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

gaarew wrote:
You can't just say 'Aragorn or Boromir'. What is the question? Which has more vowels?
Drat, it's a tie!

Though I think "Captain of the White Tower" wins that duel. Chalk another one up for Boromir! :]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You have confused me and enlightened me :D I didn't realise how contradictory my posts were, but I meant for this post to be about Aragorn and Boromir and when I said who would you pick for a 500pts army I was refering to Aragorn and Boromir and sorry for not explaining well enough about this topic, but I'm just a sad noob who knows nothing :D
Thank you again Gaarew for the message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spleenful9 wrote:
but I meant for this post to be about Aragorn and Boromir and when I said who would you pick for a 500pts army I was refering to Aragorn and Boromir

Yes, that's exactly what your first post said. Then you said that it wasn't. But now it is.

We are aware that you are trying to come to some descision about including either;

Aragorn/Strider,
Aragorn, King Ellesar,
Boromir of Gondor or
Boromir, Captain of the White Tower
(you could also consider the new Aragorn from the latest WD)

in an army of either 500 or 750 points.

You have asked the forum at large to tell you which of these they would pick for said army and why.

This we get.

What we need to know is;

Other than every reply saying either 'Aragorn' or 'Boromir' do you actually want the reason why the poster has chosen that model? Because if not, we all might as well flip a coin before replying.

Is this for an army designed using Legions of Middle-earth, or just a collection of random models?

If it is a LoMe army, what list are you planning on using?

Is this for a general, take on all comers army, or is it planned for a specific scenario?

Do you know what army your opponent will be fielding, and if so what models they favour the use of?

What other models do you plan on including in the army, because Aragorn doesn't have quite the same effect on Osgiliath Veterans as Boromir does.

What models you have access to.

If you are taking additional equipment into account.

There is a lot of ground to cover.

I'm not having a go man, I'm really not, but there are so many things to take into account. We are a pretty helpful bunch here, so help us to help you, by specifying EXACTLY what you are after.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

joris267 wrote:
boromir isn't that amazing, six might is good but with a stock of three aragorn can make up for having only three might in 3 turns. afther that is's only profit.

The thing about Boromir CotWT is it's not all about him, it's about the troops around him. Yes, Aragorn King is better one on one, no question...you'd want him in contest of champions or other scenarios. But Boromir is a better leader.

With Aragorn you use your free might to win fights, take names and kick ***. With completely average dice you can almost walk alone through the best troops Evil has to offer, and it will barely matter if you're surrounded. (not that I'm suggesting that! :) )

With Boromir you use your 6 might and banner and horn to trigger heroic moves and combat to your advantage, with your gang of inspired warriors following you to the death. Suddenly they're on par (fight-wise) with Uruk Hai, which can make a huge difference. Even more deadly if you're leading knights with lances.

So there is no "right" answer, it just depends what you want to do.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
Other than every reply saying either 'Aragorn' or 'Boromir' do you actually want the reason why the poster has chosen that model? Because if not, we all might as well flip a coin before replying.

Yes I do want the reason

Quote:
Is this for an army designed using Legions of Middle-earth, or just a collection of random models?

Legions of Middle Earth

Quote:
If it is a LoMe army, what list are you planning on using

Minas Tirith (The fellowship are the only good named heroes available)

Quote:
Is this for a general, take on all comers army, or is it planned for a specific scenario?

A general army would be nice.

Quote:
Do you know what army your opponent will be fielding, and if so what models they favour the use of?

Isengard or Mordor

Quote:
What other models do you plan on including in the army, because Aragorn doesn't have quite the same effect on Osgiliath Veterans as Boromir does.

I'm not quite sure what counts as "other models"

Quote:
What models you have access to.

If you want an exact list
32/36 (can't remember) Warriors of Minas Tirith
12 Rangers of Gondor
6 knights of Minas Tirith
6 Fountain Guards
The fellowship

Quote:
If you are taking additional equipment into account.

Yes

And just one more off topic question: Can you legally ally any member of the fellowship with a gondorian army.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First off, I'd suggest allying Tower of Ecthelion with the Rangers of Ithilien. You say that you take Minas Tirith because "The Fellowship is the only one with decent Heroes" however Faramir, Cirion and even Beregond and Damrod all have their uses. Are they as good as Aragorn or Boromir? Of course not! BUT they cost far less. Faramir is still good enough at cutting through Orcs and even Uruks in a 500 point game. You don't wanna be outnumbered by Uruk-hai, trust me. Sure, Aragorn or Boromir will kill a lot and possibly even survive, but few and far between are the games that you win by killing the most models.

Why don't you post an army list in the forum designated for such and we'll do our best to help out.[/b]

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts