All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:30 am

Post subject: Hello from England
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi folks, just joined the site recently and wanted to say hello. I used to be a fanatical LotR collector/gamer when I was in my teens and am now returning from what turned out to be a prolonged hiatus instead of a complete end to my LotR hobby. I'll give you a little bedtime story to breach my internet anonymity.

It's been over five years since I sold the last of my LotR models and a lot has happened since that. I've been through some tough times and have felt a little lost with my life but during this past year things have started to look up. This April I made the decision to move to London for a while to attend a filmmaking course and get some world experience before starting in a uni in my home country, Finland. Well, it turned out I quite liked my new life in the big city so here I am still, living in West London and trying to make a living working in the UK film/entertainment industry.

Despite the occassional urge to see if I could still put a decent looking paintjob on a Mordor orc, I didn't really think I'd ever return to the hobby. We all know how expensive and time consuming it is, so it was even more unlikely that I'd grab the brush again in a time like this, when I don't really have any money to spare and work so much I barely have time to sleep. So how did it happen? It was quite simple, actually. Three weeks ago I had an old friend of mine visiting me from Finland and on his last day here he had got this funny idea: let's check out the local GW store, just for old time's sake (he used to be my hobby buddy). So we went to the store and were greeted by this whole new range of The Hobbit models and a new rulebook. I wasn't really affected by all this since I didn't much enjoy the latest Tolkien filmatization, but fortunately there was also a bunch of good old Mordor orcs and Gondorians on one of the tables and we ended up setting up a little pitched battle. That's when I realised it's still bloody good fun.

After the GW incident I started checking ebay for affordable deals and finally picked up 24 Mordor orcs, 24 Warriors of Minas Tirith, a Ringwraith, Grishnakh, Gorbag, Borormir, Faramir and Denethor, all basecoated in black, for the reasonable price of £40. Then I spent another £40-50 on paints & brushes and now I'm all set up for a new start in this glorious hobby. Now all I need is some spare time to apply the first layers of paint in years.

That turned out to be a tad too long for a bedtime story but at least everyone is sleeping soundly now. Anyway, I googled for LotR websites and found my way here after seeing that TLA doesn't seem to be as big and active as it used to be and that The Palantir has completely vanished. I do remember this site from "the old days" as well, for some reason I never joined but since One Ring seems to be the one that's still going strong I decided to join you guys here. Hopefully I'll find like-minded company here to keep the hobby going (or get it started, should I say).

I'll probably be starting a WIP thread sometime soon now for this whole "new start" thing and see if it goes somewhere. I'll post the link in this thread soon as I get around to it.

Edit: Here's a link to the thread on the WIP board:
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26355

Cheers

- Ben

Last edited by BenOfNorthland793 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Hello from England
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome back Ben. Indeed, One-Ring is the place to be for all things hobby related. By far the most active community around. Looking forward to seeing you about the boards. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Heya ben!

Welcome to the best LoTR forum araound! 8) :D
Good to have another 'fanatic' to join the ranks :rofl:

Sounds like you've got a pretty neat setup there (good ol' eBay)

anyways... welcome :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome on-board the good ship One Ring. Looking forward to the WIP and please join in the monthly painting challenge :-)

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome!

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome to the One Ring Ben and indeed back to this great hobby.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas. I edited the first post to include a link to the WIP thread, not much to see there right now but hopefully that will change soon!