All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:51 pm

Post subject: Greetings :D
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello members of The One Ring, I'd like to introduce myself and just try and be a nice guy for once in my life. Actually... I'm too nice D:. So Basically.... I'm a huge Lord of the Rings Fan and I used to collect the Battle Games in Middle Earth Magazine when I was a kid. Unfortunatley, I was a shocking painter and many of my Models were destroyed by me... Or if I failed, By my 2 younger sisters. Although I have recentley painted up some of the surviving Metal mini's. I've been playing 40k for the past 5 years or so, but I'm looking at getting back into SBG playing Isenguard, seeing as I have quite a few heroe's still standing and I picked up a unit of Fighting Uruk Hai from my friend last night for £5. So hopefully a couple of you will decide to pop up and say Hi, maybe ask me a few things about myself or whatever, as I have no Idea what to say really :(

So anyway, thanks for reading this :)

Dave
 Post subject: Re: Greetings :D
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hi there, Welcome to One Ring Master, and welcome back to LotR - the best game GW have ever made. And congrats on your cheap Uruk-hai deal. Hope you enjoy the site 8)

Do you have an idea of the kinds of things you want to buy?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, So far in the way of Heroe's I have Ugluk, Lurtz and a Generic Captain with a shield. I also have a Beserker. My Ideal Army would be built heavily based around a Solid Core of Phalanx's of Uruk's, supported by Scouts and Possibly a unit of Orcs. Probably gonna want a sizeable unit of Warg Rider's in there too. And Isenguard Trolls.... Ooooo New Models... Everything looks so tempting!!!

What performs well within an Isenguard force?

Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the One Ring, forum of GW's best game ever, and a way better forum than The Last Alliance. It's just for example way better than Warhammer because opponents won't use their annoying warhammer giants thinking:'brrruuuaaahhhh! I'm Chuck Norris!!!!!!'(well, Balrogs do pretty much the same, but that doesn't matter. Anyways, Isengard is a good army to start IMO, as it's got a bit of all, orc hordes, good infantry(uruks), high strength Dundelings, Warg cavalry, a wizard, a crazy man with an axe that could kill 12 men with his axe in one fight when on the back of a horse, all that kinds of stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
way better forum than The Last Alliance

I beg to differ! :no:
both forums (one ring and TLA) are good for different things.
I personally prefer TLA as IMO its a visually nicer site with fewer members and this gives it a more personal feel
as I said both sites are very good and on this site you will probly get more answers and comments
Many people (including myself) go on both forums, then you can get best of both worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SidTheSloth wrote:
Quote:

I personally prefer TLA as IMO its a visually nicer site with fewer members and this gives it a more personal feel
as I said both sites are very good and on this site you will probly get more answers and comments
Many people (including myself) go on both forums, then you can get best of both worlds

Whoops, meant the Warhammer forum, all people being angry and annoyed, and rubbish, don't like that one. TLA is just as good as one ring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ahhh, ok

Quote:
Anyways, Isengard is a good army to start IMO, as it's got a bit of all, orc hordes, good infantry(uruks), high strength Dundelings, Warg cavalry, a wizard, a crazy man with an axe that could kill 12 men with his axe in one fight when on the back of a horse, all that kinds of stuff.

i agree, its a very fun army IMO especially saruman who can run around magic-ing people
UP WITH ISENGARD!!
'The age of men is finished, the time of the orc has come'

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SidTheSloth wrote:
Ahhh, ok

Quote:
Anyways, Isengard is a good army to start IMO, as it's got a bit of all, orc hordes, good infantry(uruks), high strength Dundelings, Warg cavalry, a wizard, a crazy man with an axe that could kill 12 men with his axe in one fight when on the back of a horse, all that kinds of stuff.

i agree, its a very fun army IMO especially saruman who can run around magic-ing people
UP WITH ISENGARD!!
'The age of men is finished, the time of the orc has come'

8)

only problem for me is that I'm terrible at playing horde armies, I prefer being outnumbered at least 1:2, if not 1:3 :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the welcome guys :) Been a while since I've seen such warm welcomes on a forum. I got a few more Uruk's painted last night before I went to sleep, to wake up at 4 AM having a Pollen induced Asthma Attack, Not fun >.<. Just a bit of a query here, I know full well that Saruman had Orcs at his disposal, and this is reflected with Isengard being able to field Orcs.... But can they field Orc Captains? I painted one up last night because I had the mini lying around, also have a banner bearer and some of the Metal Orc crewmen from seige weapons, If so, then I have a few characterful Orc Captains, if not, They can just be Orcs I suppose :D

I've seen a few of you commenting on Isengard being a good starter army, whick I am pleased to see, instead of giving myself a 'Harder' to play army to learn the ropes with. (I started with Guard in 40k.... I got my ass kicked a lot). So what is the best aproach for building a decent Isengard force? I assume it is heavily based around Armoured Uruks in shield walls supported by Pikes. But If any of you have experiance with Uruks, I'd much appreciate your input :)

Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
....But can they field Orc Captains?...

yep, they can field orc caps. and banner bearers. :-D

isengard tactics... hmmmm
I find that spear/pike support is very important in isengard (and most other armies) so try and keep plenty of those about
the fighting uruk hai make brilliant strike troops with fight value that can equall most captains and beat most warriors.try to use this to your advantage by getting into combat quite fast (even uruk armour will eventually be overcome by heavy, repetetive bowfire).
if you have any uruk X-bows, they're brilliant for holding flanks.just sit them somewhere and shoot everyone to pieces :twisted:
If you have saruman what I ussually do is make him either compel or tranfix an enemy hero and then slaughter him/her with my uruks
i hope this helps :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks Sid :) Must say, you are proving very helpful :) Well.... I think I do actually have Saruman kicking around at my dads..... Sadly with the rest of my Uruk Heroes and all the Battle Games in Middle-Earth magazines, apart from the 28-31, I want to build a castle so I picked them up ^.^ So far my Army consist's of 10 fighting Uruk-Hai, but I'm getting payed for a bit of security work I did this month so, I may pick up another box of Fightie's or a Box of scouts, not sure which yet. As for X-bows sadly not :( But I'm quite a resourceful Converter, I'm sure something can be done ;) I might even try and get a Pic or 2 of the Painted Uruk's up tonight. There not brilliant as it's been a while since I've touched a LOTR mini, and the scale is smaller than the 40k i'm used to, but They look okay since I have a couple of Washe's, or as I call them, Talent in a Tub ;) Anyhow, Thanks again Sid :)

Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Master of Muppets wrote:
Thanks Sid :) Must say, you are proving very helpful :) Well.... I think I do actually have Saruman kicking around at my dads..... Sadly with the rest of my Uruk Heroes and all the Battle Games in Middle-Earth magazines, apart from the 28-31, I want to build a castle so I picked them up ^.^ So far my Army consist's of 10 fighting Uruk-Hai, but I'm getting payed for a bit of security work I did this month so, I may pick up another box of Fightie's or a Box of scouts, not sure which yet. As for X-bows sadly not :( But I'm quite a resourceful Converter, I'm sure something can be done ;) I might even try and get a Pic or 2 of the Painted Uruk's up tonight. There not brilliant as it's been a while since I've touched a LOTR mini, and the scale is smaller than the 40k i'm used to, but They look okay since I have a couple of Washe's, or as I call them, Talent in a Tub ;) Anyhow, Thanks again Sid :)

Dave

Oh, well, Sid is very, very helpfull, but the One Ring's got many more helpfull people, not to offend Sid, but to show you how helpfull this site is. Not like the Warhammer Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
mastermanje said:
Oh, well, Sid is very, very helpfull, but the One Ring's got many more helpfull people, not to offend Sid, but to show you how helpfull this site is

indeed, there are many more helpfull people here Master of Muppets, if you go over to the army help forum or the SBG tactics forum there are many more who happily give good advice.

Quote:
...not to offend Sid...

no offence taken :)

Quote:
master of puppets said:
As for X-bows sadly not But I'm quite a resourceful Converter, I'm sure something can be done...

I have recently converted a few myself out of some uruk pikemen. Here's a link to some pics:http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=23293
I made them out of goblin bows stuck to the base of the pike. I also added some additional features with green stuff. If you haven't heard of green stuff, its a two-part green sculpting/moddeling putty that you can make things with. I would verymuch recomend it; its very fun and it allows you to make every model different.
Warning: do not buy GW's green stuff as it is madly overpriced and you can get it really cheap on eBay :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Master of Muppets wrote:
What performs well within an Isenguard force?

The Uruk-hai Phalanx withh support from Saruman, crossbows and cavalry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
and cavalry.

good point, i forgot cavalry :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to the One Ring

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SidTheSloth wrote:
Quote:

Is TLA even still running? The url I tried just produces an error message. Sadly both sites are just pale shadows of their former glory. I do fondly remember attractive site graphics, reward/promotion schemes, regular article additions, a time before finecast and when minis were affordable to all. A few die hard members try keep the hobby alive through these forum boards so we should be grateful for what we have now as we head towards the Hobbit films and subsequent minis that will inevitably follow at overinflated prices.
Welcome back to the hobby Dave. The plus thing for you is that Isengard minis are cheap as chips on ebay so you can get quickly build a sizeable force for very little expense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow..... I hadn't thought about Ebay.... I think I'm going to see if my Cousin has any Isengard mini's before Ebay. But Ebay seems like a good idea. Thanks Freddy :)

Well, I have 4 Pikmen left to paint and thats the 10 Basic Uruks Painted :D Then I need to raid my Dad's attic to find all my Isengard Heroe's. I'll try and get a Pic or 2 up soon :)

Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Is TLA even still running? The url I tried just produces an error message.

here it is :D
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SidTheSloth wrote:

Cheers. I fell out with the site management a while back but might take another look now I've calmed down a bit.