All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:47 pm

Post subject: Greetings from The (Hamp)Shire!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello!

Took a plunge and dived headfirst into Lotr SBG last weeks after popping into Games Workshop here in sunny Winchester following an excited tweet from a friend suggesting they'd re-released Man o' War. They hadn't (sort of), but I saw the Lord of the Rings minis and the urge was overwhelming. I haven't done a lot more than paint the Fellowship from the Mines of Moria set that I bought, and twelve Moria goblins from the LotR paint set. Hoping I can enjoy some scenarios sometime and start to fall in love with a brand-new hobby.

Primarily always been an MMO and TCG gamer, though have deep love for the lands of Middle-earth, Skadrial, Azeroth, even new Eden. Always preferred a trad setting, shying away from sci-fi, there's just something about the look of the LotR strategy game and/or War of the Ring which calls out to me. I've never played a tabletop on this scale before - my only dabbling was the ill-fated World of Warcraft minis game - so it's fascinating to meet new people who are enthusiastic for the game and can slowly lead me through it. No real idea where the hobby will take me, and that's half the fun! I did see a box of Dol Amroth knights at my local store though - not only do they look fantastic, but seem easier to paint - two colours, wash, job done, haha! I never thought I'd like painting, I've very limited ability on that front but my Fellowship and goblins look passable - and infinitely better than I was expecting them to turn out.

Oh, picked up the War of the Ring source/rules book/tome yesterday - that's probably where I'll go with it. Who knows! Onwards and upwards!

Ramble over. I'm Graham, from Winchester (Hampshire, UK) and I'm your latest ringbearer! o/

Last edited by Rioriel on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Greetings from The (Hamp)Shire!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hello Graham and welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll find the members here more than willing to help you out on any aspect of the hobby so if you have any questions feel free to ask away. It'd be great to see some pics of your painted minis in the WIP section of the site. As for Man O'War, no not quite a re-release unfortunately, but Dreadfleet still looks like it could be fun.

I look forward to seeing you around and hope enjoy your stay 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Red Corsairs wrote:
As for Man O'War, no not quite a re-release unfortunately, but Dreadfleet still looks like it could be fun.

Absolutely, might... MIGHT pick it up one day. but my local GW store manager put me off when he explained how limited it was. On one hand that's awesome; on t'other... probably means no one else will ever play it :')

Thanks for the welcomes, I'll slowly lurk in more and more sections of the forum taking it all in. My fellowship and goblins look terrible compared to some of the stuff I've seen here, but I may post photos in here as I paint more and more to see if I have any progression! I did Boromir first (at the store), first thing I've EVER painted. I'll show that off!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome Graham from a fellow Hampshire Hog (Southampton) :)