All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:29 pm

Post subject: New LOTR Painter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself on here before I start posting pictures of what I have painted! I started painting LOTR earlier this year after watching my boyfriend paint other models. I really enjoy it so far and would love to show you what I have done. I am currently painting a set of Galadhrim Warriors (14 completed 10 to go!) and wondered if anyone else thought that the moulding was poor quality compared to other models? There are just a few bits which I think are sloppy and hard to paint.

I will post pictures of my efforts (brand new at this so constructive critizism would be appriciated!) very shortly, just wanted to introduce myself! Also I find there are not as many girls doing this than I thought! I am going to games day in Birmingham in September and can't wait!

Another thing I would like help on is how to paint eyes and hair. So far I have dipped them and they just don't have any character and wondered if I could paint the eyes on afterwards. The dip has highlighted their face and hair but it is just too 'block' for me. Do you do it in layers or strand by strand?

Anyway, enough talk for now. Great to be on this forum, I look forward to speaking to as many of you as I can!

Kel xxx

Last edited by Ginger Kelly on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: New LOTR Painter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Kel, welcome to the One Ring.

You're not alone in having trouble with eyes, I find it's probably the hardest thing to master - and I still dread having to do them. There are a couple of good guides in the 'Tomes of Wisdom' for painting faces http://www.one-ring.co.uk/kb.php?c=6 and many other painting articles cover that aspect too.

My approach is to paint the eye area with a darker shade of the skin tone first, to give it a bit of shadow. Then I try to paint a fine line of white across the eye, using thinned white paint with very little on the brush. If I do too much white, then I go over the edges with the dark skin tone again. Then for the pupils I use either a really thin brush (5/0) with thinned down black paint on it, or sometimes I use a technical pen to put a tiny dob of black in the centre of the white.

Hope that helps. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work - we've got a friendly painting challenge going next month that you're welcome to join in too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You know what? I never thought of using a technical pen to do they dot on the eyes? That is a really good idea! I can't wait to post photos on here and show you my work, it has taken me forever to do the 14 I have done so far but I am getting quicker. Thanks for the link, I will have a look at that now!

Kel xxx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey, welcome to the one ring :)
Yeah you're right, there's not very many girls that paint :-D but the work of the female painters that I have seen has been extremely good. So dont worry, your first attempt will probs be great 8) and you will get plenty of encouragement and feedback on here once you upload a few photos, preferably using photobucket or imageshack.

Generally with hair people will do a drybrush, to pick out the strands of hair with minimal effort. You can do individual strands if you like but its a bit more time consuming.

See ya 'round!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ah didn't see this post here as well. Well I've replied to your other thread with my answers to your questions but there's no harm in welcoming you once again.

Also as Alan (Dagorlad) mentioned, we have a friendly painting challenge each month and the September challenge is going to be a special challenge, and it is most likely going to have the category of 'Monsters' (depending on the results of the poll which closes tomorrow). Feel free to join in when it starts if you want!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Kel,
Welcome to the One-Ring family!

I hope you find a lot of our many articles usefull.

There are indeed not so many girls in this hobby, but I can assure you there are a few around in the world and they can paint like the best! Two of them won several Golden Demons in the world (one of them is know as Alexi z on http://www.coolminiornot.com)

Hope you enjoy Gamesday! Don't hesitate to shoot many pictures and write us a nice report in the forum :)