All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:01 pm

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey everyone, I used to be an avid 40k + LOTR player when I was a kid, although in my teenage years I drifted away from it (guessing that applies to a lot here too!), although now that I'm 19 after a gap year and going to uni next month I'm looking in to getting back into the hobby. I've already purchased some Mordor and Elven models, and hopefully by the end of the year they'll all be painted and based ready for action 8). I'm even contemplating doing a Three Hunter themed-force, although that'll have to wait :( .

Victor

Last edited by Rural spice on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hey Victor - Welcome to the One Ring and back to the hobby also. You picked a good time to return to the hobby too with the upcoming hobbit production and hopefully a nice new range of miniatures to choose from. Look forward to seeing your work.

See you around the site 8)

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome to the One-Ring community. Good to see your interest in the hobby has been rekindled. Always nice to have a few more people of our age group too (since I'm just about to start uni as well). Just curious, how did you spend your gap year? abroad, working? as I was keen on the idea, but decided against it after all. Hope to see you around the forums, and if you have a chance, throw up a Work In Progress thread of your mini's that your painting. 8)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Greetings! 'Tis good to have you- what armies did you tend to collect when you were younger, and what are you looking at collecting now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Hey Victor - Welcome to the One Ring and back to the hobby also. You picked a good time to return to the hobby too with the upcoming hobbit production and hopefully a nice new range of miniatures to choose from. Look forward to seeing your work.

See you around the site 8)

Hey, thanks I hope to upload my progress soon once I start to get all the paints again. Yeah I'm very excited for the Hobbit, and the leaked release list looks juicy :-D, hopefully it'll inject some popularity into the game too.

Drumstick wrote:
Welcome to the One-Ring community. Good to see your interest in the hobby has been rekindled. Always nice to have a few more people of our age group too (since I'm just about to start uni as well). Just curious, how did you spend your gap year? abroad, working? as I was keen on the idea, but decided against it after all. Hope to see you around the forums, and if you have a chance, throw up a Work In Progress thread of your mini's that your painting. 8)

I admit I mainly spent it resitting some A-levels lol, although I did spend 1 month backpacking around the UK. I've just been doing some other stuff at home like learning German, C++ and Chess :-D (and playing BF and COD :oops:), it has been literally impossible for me to get a job aswell so I couldn't really do much else. What uni are you heading to?

Valamir wrote:
Greetings! 'Tis good to have you- what armies did you tend to collect when you were younger, and what are you looking at collecting now?

I mainly collected Minas Tirith, Harad (still have tons of them, looking at selling or trading on here if possible!) and dwarves, I'm now looking at starting an Elven and Mordor army! Possibly a Three Hunter themed force as well.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Welcome Victor to the One Ring. You mentioned tradeing/selling Harad miniatures, please start a tradeing thread as I am interested in Harad. I am in the U.S. at the moment and will be for the rest of the year.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

no selling here on the One Ring guys - just trading :wink:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the site Rural Spice! Nice to have another new member :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rural spice wrote:

I admit I mainly spent it resitting some A-levels lol, although I did spend 1 month backpacking around the UK. I've just been doing some other stuff at home like learning German, C++ and Chess :-D (and playing BF and COD :oops:), it has been literally impossible for me to get a job aswell so I couldn't really do much else. What uni are you heading to?

A-levels, you must be English then. I just recently finished my Highers (Scottish version), and thankfully got through them first time (I was surprised, because I mean I'm pathetic at maths). A month of backpacking sounds great fun, would have liked to do that myself. Ah there's no getting away from the old Battlefield & COD. .. I've spent far too much time on them myself (and Skyrim). Jobs at the moment are really hard to get, which is really effecting people coming out of school. I'm off down to Bournemouth Arts University, can't wait! & you? :D
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Drumstick wrote:
Rural spice wrote:
Jobs at the moment are really hard to get, which is really effecting people coming out of school. I'm off down to Bournemouth Arts University, can't wait! & you? :D

Doesn't get much better after University, either. I got a 2:1 and worked part time through Uni and I'm still 'not experienced' enough... and plenty of bog standard retail jobs have told me they 'don't think I'll be there for the long haul so sorry'. >_<

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Doesn't get much better after University, either. I got a 2:1 and worked part time through Uni and I'm still 'not experienced' enough... and plenty of bog standard retail jobs have told me they 'don't think I'll be there for the long haul so sorry'. >_<

Yeah, I've heard quite a lot about that too. Best way is to get in contact, or know the companies that are working in your specific market. So it's all about knowing the right people I guess. What is your course?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Heh, well my specific market isn't too big, considering I graduated in English Literature. On one hand it allows me to apply for varied things, but on the other it means I'm not a shoe in for a specific industry like if I did Mechanical Engineering. I've been in contact with plenty of people it's just pretty hard right now I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well as you say English has quite a large area that you can work from. I hope things work out & you find something because as the way things are going at the moment once I'm out I'm sure I'll have a similar problem. However my course is quite the opposite, very specific. (which might make it either more difficult or easier.. . depends)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Drumstick wrote:
Rural spice wrote:

A-levels, you must be English then. I just recently finished my Highers (Scottish version), and thankfully got through them first time (I was surprised, because I mean I'm pathetic at maths). A month of backpacking sounds great fun, would have liked to do that myself. Ah there's no getting away from the old Battlefield & COD. .. I've spent far too much time on them myself (and Skyrim). Jobs at the moment are really hard to get, which is really effecting people coming out of school. I'm off down to Bournemouth Arts University, can't wait! & you? :D

I'm off to Loughborough to do Geography, I was lucky to get in though, I missed one grade off my offer, but still got a place :D. What course will you be doing? Will be a long trip all the way down south!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds good, that was indeed lucky! 8) Yeah, that's going to be a long drive down, don't think I could have chosen anywhere further. I'm taking the BA Modelmaking course.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to One Ring :D Make sure you don't neglect your Mordor.