All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Post subject: Hey there
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello all! Figured I'd finally stop lurking around in the shadows and try to start getting involved a little.

I've been collecting LOTR since the days of The Two Towers, though I drifted away from the hobby just after The Two Towers Journeybook was released. Never realised the connection until lately, heh. Being young and not-so-sensible I'd buy whatever took my fancy, I remember having a lot of Easterling/Khandish/Haradrim Warriors, and a fair amount of Minas Tirith Warriors.

Anyway, I was out and about and on a whim decided to visit my local Games Workshop. Sad to see the vast drop of stock compared to the early years, but I guess that's to be expected. So I decided to pretty much start from scratch, deciding on properly beginning a long-desired force of mine: Rohan! (Yes yes, they're not that great competitively, but to be honest I've always been more of a collector/painter than a gamer.)

Gathering bits and pieces from stores and the internet, I've got together quite a force on my hands. Being a fan of creating themed armies I've got two in the works at the moment: A typical-but-beloved Helm's Deep focusing on infantry (already got 60 Warriors of Rohan for that, heh!), and one that I decided on just the other night: based after the War of the Ring during the Fourth Age, an all-cavalry force comprised of King Eomer, Rohan Royal Guards, Riders of Rohan, King Elessar and Knights of Minas Tirith. Especially looking forward to seeing the final version of the latter!

Aside from that, I have a small evil army centered around Uruk Scouts. Once I've finished my good armies I'll probably expand that to include some Dunlendings (modified plastic Corsairs to save on my already drained wallet?) and Isengard Orcs.

That's about it for now, I think. Thank you for reading, feel free to ask any questions!~

Post subject: Re: Hey there
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well first of all Welcome to the One-Ring site. It's great to hear your interest in LotR miniatures has been rekindled and I see your already on the way to getting a large force ready. I'd be very interested to see your Rohan Helm's Deep list as I've built the model and trying different army lists is always fun! I take it your going for SBG game rules? Look forward to seeing you around the forums and make sure you start a thread so we can see your work. :) Modifying models is always a great idea (however I wish I was better at sculpting with the green stuff) as you can personalize them & your right this hobby is heavy on the pocket!

Drum 8)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to One Ring :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Drumstick wrote:
Well first of all Welcome to the One-Ring site.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Welcome to One Ring :D

Thank you both :)

Drumstick wrote:
It's great to hear your interest in LotR miniatures has been rekindled and I see your already on the way to getting a large force ready. I'd be very interested to see your Rohan Helm's Deep list as I've built the model and trying different army lists is always fun!

Well, it's a fairly standard list.
Theoden, Gamling, Hama supported by a handful of Rohan Royal Guard. (I have 3 at the moment, considering buying another blister pack.)
2 Command Units
60 Warriors of Rohan

I'm planning on adding Grimbold, Grimbold's Command and a group of Helmingas to that list. Not sure what I'll be using for the Helmingas - I bought a pack of Gripping Beast Viking Hirdsmen and Wargames Factory Viking Huscarls, but they're a little too big for my liking.

I've also got Erkenbrand and a bunch of warriors under his command, whilst Eomer currently leads a host of 3 mounted Rohan Royal Guard and 24 Riders of Rohan.

Along with that I've got Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli, Galadhrim Command & Galadhrim Warriors. Although I'm not too happy with the various poses of the Three Hunters - How I wish I'd gotten the Defenders of Rohan box when I had the chance!

Drumstick wrote:
I take it your going for SBG game rules?

Aye, that's right. I missed WOTR, maybe I'll look into it one day. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey man, i like the username!

I'm also an avid fan of infantry based Rohan armies, nice to see someone else willing to struglgle with them; banners are pretty handy if your thinking about purchases.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Hey man, i like the username!

Heh, thanks!

Rohan infantry always intrigued me. I mean, cavalry are great an' all, but their infantry have really been overlooked. They're some of my favourite models, and I love the simultaneous diversity and uniformity. I've especially grown to enjoying formations of charging swordsmen and spearmen with Erkenbrand at the head. Brilliant model, I never realised until I saw him up-close!

Nice to see another Rohan supporter~