All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:29 pm

Post subject: Assistant Manager (college)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi all
I'm in my last year of High school, next year I'll be heading to college.
I study Public Relations (2nd year) now and when I go to college I'd like to study Assistant Management.

The reason why I tell you is because I've got some questions concerning studying this and finding a job etc.

If there are some people here who study/studied this, or have this as their job, could you give me some information about it please? I've read some things about it, but hearing it from someone who knows everything about it would be a great help!

What can I expect when studying this? Is it hard? Should I go for a Bachelor or a Master?
Or as a job, is there anything I have to watch out for/be very good in? I know my languages are important. I speak Dutch (native language), English, French and German. I might study Spanish in the near future too. I'm also pretty good with computers and it's programs such as MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel... will this be useful?

Is it easy to find a job too? And what's the job like? What are the pro and cons etc.? Also, if you studied this and graduated, are there other jobs you can get with your certificate?
Also, another question, which is also important, do you get paid enough? I've read at some sites that you might get between €1800-2600, which is quite a difference. (I understand if you don't want to tell in public, you can always send me a PM).

Thanks in advice!

Kind regards
Jorn

Post subject: Re: Assistant Manager (college)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Don't have any experience with that specific study but I myself tried to plan my studies and it did'nt really work out how I thought it would....

You always have to start with a Bsc (Bachelor) so you should'nt worry about a Msc yet. How can you study Public Relations in highschool btw?, assuming the Belgian system is about the same as the Dutch.

Don't overthink the job opportunities, no-one can predict what the economy will look like 3 or 4-5 years (depending on how long your Msc would take). Choosing a diverse Bsc is always a good thing, don't put all your eggs in one basket, assisant management sounds like you could work anywhere so I guess youre good ;). With your Msc you can always finetune the direction you'd like to go in, I got a Bsc Industrial Design and am currently doing a Msc in Innovation Sciences, the two don't really have much in common.

Salary guidelines are also something you should'nt worry about too much, if it's about what you're looking for it's ok, in the end it always comes down to how good you are.

To make a long story short: pick a broad study in the field you like and specify with your Msc, by that time you might have figured out what you want ;)

Post subject: Re: Assistant Manager (college)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for your quick reply!
Sorry I couldn't answer you earlier, was very busy with school again :(

I study OPR actually, onthaal & public relations, I didn't know what they call it in English though.
I'll try to study Assistant manager then and we'll see how it turns out. You're right, it probably won't be as I imagined it to be, maybe I won't like it etc. :)

Thanks though, I feel much better now, I'll just do the best I can and we'll see how that turns out :)

Cheers!
Jorn