All times are UTC

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 pm

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Last edited by Éomer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Great Games Workshop Conspiracy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting... I could see how his theory is going but I don't know enough about economics to properly comment about it.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

could someone summarise the video? 54 minutes is a loooong time ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Last edited by Éomer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd argue it's not so much of a conspiracy as it is a long-term business plan (lin the video not once did he say conspiracy). Guess what? That's capitalism for you. I'm not surprised that this could be the direction Games Workshop is going because from an economic point of view it makes sense though the video left out factors for both GW and the local retailers. As for business ethics, that's a fairly new concept in the world of business and it is still struggling to make itself heard. I'm a fourth year business student and business ethics is one of the least empathized concepts throughout the curriculum unless the professors really believe in the ethical view of business. It's also the one topic many business students disregard out of hand because, like all great capitalists, they're out to get a buck any way they can.

In regards of the video, thanks for posting it but it was very long and a lot of it was unnecessary ranting. Could have condensed it down to around 30 minutes.

@DezartFox, fastforward to about 40:00. The last 14 minutes really lays out the 'conspiracy' while the rest explains some of the pieces of the puzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Last edited by Éomer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that this video certainly presents a plausible theory for GW's seemingly increasing hostility towards independent retailers, online and in person. I remember when Beasts of War were doing a video discussing price increases, and Darrel mentioned that, for him, 40K IS the hobby; GW is certainly good at making people dependent on them. For example--since I decided to abstain from GW after the switch to Finecast, I have inevitably bought Elrond & Gil-Galad in Finecast, a Grey Knight Brother-Captain, and the War of the Ring rule book. I'm positive, also, that I'll be back when The Hobbit miniatures are released. It's almost impossible to stay away, and GW knows this. They have determined they can maximize profits by slowly eliminating alternate places to purchase their miniatures, and by continually raising prices using premium quality as justification. I remember reading somewhere, in an interview with a GW higher-up, that they justify their prices with their quality, and with the fact that people with pay them. It would also give credence to the idea that more and more models are becoming direct only. There are no official Games Workshop stores in North Carolina, and there are none within a reasonable distance where I go to school in Texas. Assuming that Games Workshop made it impossible for me to order from The WarStore, FRP Games, Amazon, or buy from HobbyTown USA, and I really, really, was wanting one of their new models, I would have no choice but to buy from their store online. Maximum profits! Clever GW. Clever. Literally the only way to stop this is to "vote with our wallets" and stop buying GW products, but if you aren't buying GW, then their prices and practices would be irrelevant.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Let me paraphrase the "boil the frog" analogy:

You take the customer, you slowly bleed them of their money. Then slowly over time the consumer gets used to it and soon enough little gamer doesn't know it, but he starves to death and dies.

Oh and I feel sorry for the Aussies, we always knew that they're the people always getting the shaft.

I'm going to try my hardest to boycott "The Hobbit", it's going to be hard to resist temptation, but I'm banking on liquidation sales and second hand sales.

This video is easy to listen to when you have it runnong in the background while surfing the net or when painting, etc. Now if you would excuse me I'm taking a church breaK...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Last edited by Éomer on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's sad to say but I'm pretty much second-hand only now as well. The GW price increases are driving a lot of people out of the hobby and I think the market is going to continue to have a steady flow of used (or even unpainted backlog) models for a long time. You may not get exactly what you want, you may have to keep an eye out and jump on something when it does show up, and you will probably have to deal with damaged or poorly painted products to clean up and fix, but it's still a cheaper alternative and less frustrating.

I'm still making "new" purchases at about the same rate as I used to thru my LGS...but those have switched from GW products to Flames of War products. My LotR hobby has devolved to backlog (which still has hundreds, literally, of models) and occasional second-hand pickups. I doubt even the Hobbit release will get much from me...maybe one set of the full Company, a new Necromancer...things of that nature. But if they change scale or a something majorly stupid like that it will get nothing.

I absolutely feel like the boiled frog but decided to hop out of the pot. Still enjoying the hobby, but on my terms.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com