All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:31 pm

do u think they shouldve left tom in
yes 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
no 62%  62%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: wot happened 2 tom??????????????????????
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i think dat tom bombadill shouldve been included in the film and they shouldve cut out some unimportant bits coz sein him in action against da barrow whights wouldve been soooo cool :roll:

Last edited by josiahtaylorrulz on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Of course they should have left him in but there are time restrictions. Overall I think PJ did a great job with the Fellowship and it is my fave out out of the 3 films. Would have been nice in the EE but nothin can be done now. It's great in the book though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry fellas - but Tom Bombadil was a complete was waste of time for me. A camp fat guy with yellow boots who sings while riding a pony.
What was he all about? he was older than Treebeard appearently - even though we are later reminded that Treebeard is the oldest living thing - and he didnt fight the barrow wight - he sang to it and it ran away.

There are many bits of the book omitted by the movie and in every case I think I agree totally with the decision.

The film on the whole also injects much more pace and excitement than the book which is really rather dreary. I'd love to read the book again rewritten by a better author.

I offer an example:

In the movie... Gandalf says to Frodo 'Keep it safe! keep it secret!'
in the next scene Gandalf surprises Frodo in his hobbit hole looking panic stricken! "Is it safe? is it secret?!"

in the book... Gandalf tells Frodo to keep the ring safe - but then what?
he wanders off for 17 YEARS! not days... YEARS! much boring stuff happens and then Gandalf finally shows up again and says he thinks it might be a bit dangerous. I'm only surprised that Frodo doesnt say "what ring? that old thing of Bilbos? I gave it to a beggar on a big black horse - he seemed very pleased - it didnt think it was that important."

Well bloody good job it took Sauron 17 years to find the Shire then! or it could have been a much shorter story.

The film has much more energy and a much greater sense of urgency. The book is essetially dull and too long - the story is timeless - but be honest with yourselves - it's a bit rubbish and could be rewritten so much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Finally, someone who agrees with me. Ebob, that is exactly what I have always thought. Tolkien's work is not praised for the quality of the writing, but for the depth of the storyline itself, and the work that has gone into creating the world of Middle Earth. I think the writing is pretty dull, and I think that the film is better in many places. (Mainly the lack of singing hobbits, and singing Tom, and singing Aragorn, and singing Gimli, and etc...)

Even on the commentaries on the TTT EE PJ and co describe how creating the film was hard because of how the book was written, and many have said that the book would not even get published today.

On a different note, josiahtaylorrulz - could you please write your posts in proper English, as there are many users of this site from other countries (and a few English ones :P) who may not understand you.

Stewart
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Tom.. take him or leave him in the film.
I was more upset with the scouring of the shire missed out.
It might have made a nice little twist at the end of the film
as it did in the book.

The bit I've always found boring in the books is Frodo and Sams
slow ... slow trek to Mordor. The film made this part much
better in my opinion.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i to agree with ebob and gollum rules. when i read the fellowship, IT WAS SO BORING! he might aswell have described a rock frodo sat on instead of some the tripe he bought. the book on the hole is good, but the films are by far better. tom bombadil is pointliss. like ebob said, hes a freaky singing weirdo. there was no point of him being in the film, as there is no relevance to the story of the ring, which is what everbody cared about. for me, the fellowship was the worst film. stuff wasnt explained properly
E.G.aragorn:i promise i will not let the white city fall.
WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD IS THE WHITE CITY!( i now now it is minas tirith because i read the book to understand the film) a lot of stuff that was cut should have been because it is BORING!

Post subject: Re: wot happened 2 tom??????????????????????
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In my opinion, Tom Bombadil is AWESOOOOOOOOOME! :D and I would really love to see some scenes with the Barrow-wights and the scouring of the Shire.
The first time I red The Fellowship, yes I thought it was boring just to hear "then they walked from A to B, from B to C, and they walked from C to D, and from D to E and so on, but overall, I think the books are clearly better than the movies, though I've also enjoyed to watch them :)
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Celeborn Lord of Lorien wrote:
for me, the fellowship was the worst film. stuff wasnt explained properly
WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD IS THE WHITE CITY!( i now now it is minas tirith because i read the book to understand the film) a lot of stuff that was cut should have been because it is BORING!

That is called context.

And I don't think the writing of the books is boring at all. It is much nicer compared to the anomalies that were put into the movie for the sake of speed (mostly things like: Gandalf wanders around half of middle earth and then comes back in a week? Eomer rides north double the time Gandalf & co take to get to Edoras (eg. should be by the edges of Mirkwood), gets overtaken by Gandalf (Shadowfax is fast, but not that fast), and then rides back in 3-4 days max (including time needed for Gandalf to overtake them)). The books by contrast are very well structured, have suspense at exactly the right moments, don't reveal things too soon (Aragorn telling all about the Nazgul at Bree?) and the writing is quick enough to never get dull or repitive (to me).

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Elven Lord wrote:
In my opinion, Tom Bombadil is AWESOOOOOOOOOME! :D and I would really love to see some scenes with the Barrow-wights and the scouring of the Shire.
The first time I red The Fellowship, yes I thought it was boring just to hear "then they walked from A to B, from B to C, and they walked from C to D, and from D to E and so on, but overall, I think the books are clearly better than the movies, though I've also enjoyed to watch them :)

Oh my gosh...revival of an eight year old thread... :yay:
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Celeborn Lord of Lorien wrote:

Unless i am mistaken they talk about being called back with the white tower of ecthelion, trumpets playing, banners flying.

It must be talking about the Capital of Gondor where Boromir originates. The fact that it does not tell you the name of the City in the scene should not make an ounce of difference. Would make a dud scene if Aragorn then turned to the camera dn explained to the viewers that the white city is indeed Minas Arnor, later dubbed Minas Tirith
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In the film it is never said that they didn't go through the old forest etc.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros wrote:
Elven Lord wrote:

I was wondering why Ebob was posting. He has not been posting here for years.

On the topic of Tom Bombadil though, I think he definitely does not fit in a movie. He is pretty useless to the overall story of Frodo's journey, and should for time constraints be removed from the movie. Also, the audience will think that he is important and expect him to play a role later on in the trilogy.

In the book however, I think he is great. The thing that makes Tolkien's writing so unique is that it's not just about the story of Frodo going to Mordor. Frodo's journey is only a tiny portion of the history of Middle Earth, and Tolkien created this huge world with hundreds, maybe even thousands, of stories that are all interconnected. His writing style is not the best, there are many people who are far better at it, such as Charles Dickens, but this huge world where everything fits together to create something bigger than just a few books in a series, that is what makes Middle Earth so amazing, and why Tom Bombadil must be in the book.

Though we of course have no official confirmation, I believe Tom Bombadil is one of the Valar who has decided to live in Middle Earth in the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs. How else can he be older than Treebeard, and how else does the ring not have any effect on him?

Thanks!

Maermaethor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think he's Illuvatar in the flesh.

Does he fit into the movies? Unfortunately no. In the books? Heck yes, one of the best characters in them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Tom infuriated me when reading the book, and he would not have fit on the film. I have no idea why this thread was ressurected but oh well. Draugluin, Illuvitar has no flesh, Bombadil may be the most powerful of the Maiar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He most definitely could have taken flesh if he wanted. That would also explain why he really didn't do anything, he didn't want to tamper with the Vision.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros wrote:
Elven Lord wrote:

Whoah, sorry! I was looking through old posts and forgot to check the date before posting... whoops :oops: :oops: :oops:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Draugluin wrote:
He most definitely could have taken flesh if he wanted. That would also explain why he really didn't do anything, he didn't want to tamper with the Vision.

Entering Middle-earth with flesh woul be tampering with the Vision. Eru did not interfer in the Vision in anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

Entering Middle-earth with flesh woul be tampering with the Vision. Eru did not interfer in the Vision in anyway.

He just sank a continent and an island into the sea, that's all.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

When the Numenoreans turned away fom him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Telchar wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

He just sank a continent and an island into the sea, that's all.

Haha, and it was at the requst of Manwe. Not because they turned from him.