All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:35 am

Post subject: Lord of the Rings Symphony
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A couple of days ago the LotR symphony was performed in my home town and I went to listen to it. It's composed by Howard Shore and basically collects his music from the three films into a two and a half hour symphony for a full orchestra and a choir.

I have to say that that this was absolutely the best performance of the film music I've ever heard. No home stereo or even a movie theatre sound system can compete with 200 players and singers just a few metres away from the listener. The drums of Moria were possibly the most impressive part of it, they really could make them sound like huge goblin drums deep in the mines.

Do yourself a favour and book tickets to it if you ever have a chance.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Years ago (time goes by...) I had the great chance to be there at the European première here in little Belgium. In the Sportpaleis in Antwerp I had one of the most wonderfull nights of my life - Howard Shore conducted himself which made it even better! So far the best performance I have ever experienced. Being an active musician/producer myself, and owner of a rather huge collection of filmmusic, I can safely promise that it's a very unique show.

For a long time I've been waiting for the show to return to Belgium, but so far there haven't been even rumours. I try to ease the pain with the DVD that came with the RotK Collector's Box - but compared to what I saw in Antwerp I was not impressed with. Those Canadians did a fine job, don't get me wrong, but the total performance was somehow better in Antwerp. Howard Shore himself would probably agree with me...

Howard Shore, about his score for 'The Aviator' wrote:
While I was composing this music I was also at one point rehearsing for a concert with the Flemish Radio Orchestra. I thought that the sound of this particular orchestra in their rehearsal hall (on old cinema in Leuven) was a good match for the composition to express the period of this film.

Plus, the DVD did not contain the full show. So, please come back to Belgium.

Last edited by Potenza on Thu May 07, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sounds like a great performance! 8) I really want to go see it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wish I had a chance at that - the music from all 3 films is outstanding - that is why I got the Complete Recordings for all of them. I can listen all day with hearing the same piece twice!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Have any of you heard de Meij's Lord of the Rings symphony? It's not Howard Shore (came a long time before the movies) but some parts are quite good.

Hon essnín istatha: Aiglos.