All times are UTC

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

Post subject: The Battle of the Kitchen Table.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Right, I'm affraid I've got no pictures of neither of my picture table, nor my unpainted easterlings and half-painted elven knights, but I suppose this would be seen as practice in making a battlereport.

The Armies

Galadrim:

2 Galadrim Knights with Elven Bows.
4 Galadrim Knights with Elven Blade and Shields.

Easterlings:

5 Easterling Warriors with Sword and Shield.
10 Easterling Warriors with Spear and Shield.

Layout:

The battlefield is one of the two edges of a kitchen table, located somewhere in Uppsala, Sweden. The table is about 140cm across, and the edge to outside-of-the-battlefield is 80 cm wide.

The elves starts on one side, from here on refered to as the North Side.
They are divided into two small groups of three knights in each, one archer in each group. The formations are shaped like Y, where the two shield-knights are slightly ahead on the archer's flanks.

The Easterlings have formed a phlanx, 10cm from their edge, with 5 swordsmen on the front, each assisted by 2 spearmen.

Turn 1:

The Elves, being good, begins the battle. They move 12 centimetres straight forward, whereafter the archers fires towards the Easterling Phalanx. Both arrows hits, but the Easterlings shields keep them safe, for now.

The Easterling Phalanx starts moving straight ahead 12 centimetres towards a point just between the two elven companies.

Turn 2:

Priority roll, the elves wins with a 5 over the Easterlings' 3.

The elves remain at their position, letting their archers release another rond against the Eastlings, once again both shots are hits - and this time one of the swordsmen falls dead to the ground on their eastern flank.

The loss of their swordsman did not intemidate them, and angered by the death of their comrade they are determined to slaughter the nasty long-ears! They march forwards, the spearmen trampling down the corpse of their front defender.

Turn 3:

Priority roll: Draw, 3-3, the Easterlings who did not have the last priority gets to begin.

The Easterling Phalanx continues marching, ending not very far from the idle elves. They get ready for the bloodshed, preparing to be charged.

The elves kindly turns around and moved back 12 centimetres, near their edge, the archers once again shoots. One of the archers' horses sneezes, and his arrow hits just by the feet of the advancing Easterlings, but the other arrow swoops through the air and ends up through the chest of the easterling's swordsman on the west flank. He falls dead to the ground.

Turn 4:

Priority roll: The Easterlings' 6 outmatches the elves' 2, and they kick off the 4th turn.

The Easterlings marches another 12 centimetres, once again not far from their enemies.

The elves quickly respond, the two teams charges out on the flanks of the phalanx with their silvery swords glittering in the sun.

The elves on the western flank of the phalanx manages to fend off the wall of spears, but gets no killing blows upon their foes.

The eastern flank, howeaver, is quickly sliced down. Three of the easterlings fall dead to the ground, unprepared on the sudden elven counter-attack.

Turn 5:

Priority roll: The elves gets a 4, whilst the Easterlings get a 2.

The elves pushes deeper into the eastern flank, confusing the squeezed-in Easterlings in the middle of the phalanx who suddenly got enemies on both their sides.

Panic increases as both the flanks suffers losses, 1 on the west flank is shredded by the elven blades, and 2 more on the east flank gets cut down.

The easterlings tries to defend themselves and poke down the riders from their steeds. Though most of the elves manages to parry the blows, one of the knight-archers gets stuck in his side and falls dead off his horse.

Turn 6:

Priority: Easterlings 5 - Elves 4. The Easterlings makes ready to strike down their foes.

The Easterlings try to re-organize as much as possible between the elves, but there is not much room and they realize that their phalanx has been breached. Their swordsmen scatter and divide to manouver around the elven knights whilst the spearmen try desperatly to fend off the enemy. But the elves skill is too high, and they fail to bring down another oponent.

The Elves quickly counter the scattering swordsmen and keep pushing from both sides. One elf from each flank charges the swordsmen down, killing them both, whilst two others make it to the back of the phalanx. A total casualty of 4 Easterlings makes the invaders to realize they have no chance.

Turn 7:

Priority: The easterlings' 1 against the elves' 3 makes them realize that they have no chance.

The elves have squeezed in the three remaining survivors, trapped by cavrelly and so few, they know they have eaten their last meals. Two of them are killed, but the last spearman's armor and shield keeps him protected like a clam.

Alone, with no way out, he decides to make a strike - and somehow succeeds, bringing down one of the knight-archers.

Turn 8:

Priority roll: The easterling recieves a 2... the elves gets a 1, for a brief moment more he will live!

The Easterling strikes against one of the knights, but the skilled elf parries the blow with ease.

The four elves stare on the easterling, hating him for killing two of their friends. They strike him to the ground with repeated blows against the frightened man standing in his brass armors.

Victory to Loth'Lorien!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Not a bad report, however when you're describing the combats, you get a teeny bit undescriptive.

Quote:
The Elves, being good, begins the battle. They move 12 centimetres straight forward, whereafter the archers fires towards the Easterling Phalanx. Both arrows hits, but the Easterlings shields keep them safe, for now.

This could be transformed into something like this:

The Elves take up the initiative and launch forward, keen blades whistling as they go on the offensive. They urge their steeds forward, covering 12 centimetres. The archers, hanging back, raise their finely crafted longbows; as they unleash the arrows, the easterlings turn their shield-arms to face the attack and weather the arrows, suffering no harm.

The others could stand a teeny bit of improvement too, but overall, pretty good. I'd like to see some more battle reports from you! Yeah for the elves!

:D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anduril Flame wrote:
Not a bad report, however when you're describing the combats, you get a teeny bit undescriptive.

... They urge their steeds forward, covering 12 centimetres.

As much as I would love to say that was so much more evocative, you still said 12 centimetres, which completely shatters any illusion of grand and epic warfare.

How about...

The morning mists shrouding the plain lifted, and, on both sides of the field, sunlight glinted off burnished armour. The keen-eyed Elves, spying the enemy ahead, vile Men in the service of Sauron, took up their weapons and advanced. The haughty Galadhrim Knights broke into a slow canter, happy to allow their skilled Archer brethren time to whittle down the foe with steel tipped arrows, before rushing in to deliver a glorious coup-de-grace. The archers, edging slowly forwards, raise their longbows, legs effortlessly guiding their mighty steeds as they prepare to fire. An almost inaudible twang caresses the breeze, as two feathered bolts arc high above the combatants, before dropping into the ranks of Easterlings. Amid jeers and insults, they stand defiant, confident that the range and their heavy armour will protect them. The arrows fly true, thanks to the skill of the Elves, but Saurons smiths have earned their keep as neither finds flesh amidst the heavy bronze plate of their targets.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Quote:
The morning mists shrouding the plain lifted, and, on both sides of the field, sunlight glinted off burnished armour. The keen-eyed Elves, spying the enemy ahead, vile Men in the service of Sauron, took up their weapons and advanced. The haughty Galadhrim Knights broke into a slow canter, happy to allow their skilled Archer brethren time to whittle down the foe with steel tipped arrows, before rushing in to deliver a glorious coup-de-grace. The archers, edging slowly forwards, raise their longbows, legs effortlessly guiding their mighty steeds as they prepare to fire. An almost inaudible twang caresses the breeze, as two feathered bolts arc high above the combatants, before dropping into the ranks of Easterlings. Amid jeers and insults, they stand defiant, confident that the range and their heavy armour will protect them. The arrows fly true, thanks to the skill of the Elves, but Saurons smiths have earned their keep as neither finds flesh amidst the heavy bronze plate of their targets.

This is how I like to write in any short stories I make, however my thoughts were that if he wrote like this, the report would be ten pages long. :wink:. By the way, is there a forum here where I can post some of my writing?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Uh... Alright, I'll try that next time. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:yay: I think all together it was a good battle report but u could have used more soldiers :yay:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

KingBrockavitch wrote:
:yay: I think all together it was a good battle report but u could have used more soldiers :yay:

Actually, it was just to try out the Galadhrim Knights to see if they were good enough for their point cost against a "normal" enemy.

There'll be another battle report for my dwarves as soon as my package from GW arrives with some more Khazad Guards.