All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 am

Post subject: Fall of the Necromancer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Fall of the Necromancer. It's just a supplement with a broken Spider Queen... or is it?

Curunthir and I would like to think not. We're going to be playing this campaign (the scenarios from the source book) from beginning to bitter end. I think we can all look forward to the forces of Dol Guldur crushing some little elves. :D

If you couldn't guess, I will be playing as the evil side. My models will range from Giant Spiders to Bat Swarms to Castellans to the Necromancer, himself. Curunthir's models will be a "Who's Who" of powerful beings in Middle Earth, I don't think I need to name them, but he can if he wants. :D

Now, we have no terrain, and don't yet have all the evil models, so we will just use other models to "fill in" for them. Otherwise, the models are all WYSIWYG. Hopefully we can finish this in a timely manner and get everything posted (Battle reports with pictures) soon.

Well, time for the forces of evil to triumph over good. Afterall, evil will always win, because good is dumb. ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm looking forward to the result
(the elves rock 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Battle Reports are a rare comodity in this day and age, so a whole campaign of them will be like finding a treasure chest :D

Cannot wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

can't wait, i love reading a good and well-written battle report!!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alright, well, here's the results of the first scenario. I will put up the reports, and Curunthir will add the pictures when he can.

Scenario 1- Dol Guldur Awakens

The elves have been wearied by the constant attack of Dol Guldur's forces but they continue to hold as strongly as they can. The minions of evil seem relentless and never-ending, but Thranduil and his wood elves are holding fast.

Objectives: The elves must destroy the forces of evil, evil must destroy the forces of good.

Special Rules:
Wearied by battle: In the move phase, each good model must take a courage test, if they fail, they must make a full move from the nearest enemy.
Spiders: Spiders are placed at the beginning of the Evil player's move by whichever side has priority.

The elves started grouped as tightly as they could be, while the bat swarms chose the south and east board edges to enter.

Turn 1: Good Priority
The first elf to move couldn't force himself to stay and fight and fled from the battlefield! The rest of the elves however, held true to their cause and started to gather while approaching the enemy. The spider entered from the east board edge, immediately hiding behind a tree to hide from bowfire, while one Bat Swarm engaged an elf spearman and the other flew towards the spider in hiding.

Seeing the bats, 2 elves quickly notched their arrows and let loose! Thranduil and one sentinel both scored hits. The sentinel's arrow didn't make it out of the forest and hit a tree while Thranduils just skimmed one of the bats in the swarm, causing no damage.

The elf valiantly defends himself from the bat swarm, repelling them with no harm to himself.

Turn 2: Evil Priority
A spider enters from the southern board edge and immediately hides behind a nearby tree. The bat swarm rengaged the elf spearman and an elf bowman that was aiding the spearman. The bat and spider in the northeast corner again hide behind trees, and hope to ambush the elves. This, however, does not sit well with the elves. A sentinel plays a sweet tune and the spider, as if being forced, walks out from behind his cover to find Thranduil and his grim bunch staring him down. They immediately attack the spider. A lone archer begins sneaking around the trees.

The archer notices the bats, and silently notching his arrow, takes aim. He fired! The bats seem to have known he was there and, for an instant, disappear allowing the arrow to fly harmlessly by.

The bat swarm fighting the elf spearman and bowman is easily beaten by the skilled fighters and the spearman manages to skewer one of the bats. At the same time, Thranduil (with a support), 2 sentinels, and an elven warrior hack the spider to bits, cursing Ungoliant as they do so.

Turn 3: Evil Priority
Another spider enters from the south, taking his position behind a tree as the spider before him had already snuck out and attacked an archer. The two bat swarms attacked the elf spearman that had previously lessened their number. The elves regrouped and began their march to the south east, where most of the desperate fighting has taken place.

The elf bowman manages to push the spider back, but it nimbly avoids a wounding blow. The elf bowman facing the two bat swarms, however, loses his fighting and the fight. The seven remaining bats dive at him and, in a dark vortex, the elf dies.

Turn 4: Good priority
A spider enters from the south east, facing his impending doom at the hands of Thranduil and the elves. One elf, seemingly overcome by the fear, cowardly runs from the spider that just appeared. Thranduil, with his support, and a sentinel attacked the newly arrived spider. While another sentinel plays a tune and forces the bat to approach the elven battle line. The elf bowman engages the spider while the other spider joins the fight and the second bat swarm joins the first in combat.

Thranduil and his sentinel massacre the spider, wounding it four times (all 6s ). Both of the bat swarms lose their fight to the elven battle line, and the already wounded bat takes another one. One spider kills an elf, while the other takes a wound from an elf.

Turn 5: Evil Priority
The spiders engage the nearby elves while the bat swarms retreat and engage elves near the spiders to aid in the combats. The elves merely regroup their death squad and prepare to advance.

A bat swarm attacked a sentinel from all sides, catching him unawares and killing him. The injured bat swarm and a spider worked together to take down an elf bowman. However, the other spider lost it's combat to an elf warrior.

Turn 6: Good prioirty
With a magical song, a bat swarm was drawn near to the main elven force. Thranduil led his bravest warriors and attacked it. This left the others to engage what they could. A spider fought an elf with spear support while the wounded bats attacked a sentinel and another warrior.

The ferocity of the elves was too much for the creatures to handle. The spider was wounded once. The wounded bats were too nimble to be hurt. Thranduil, using all his might to win the fight, and his sentinel ally absolutely destroyed the bat swarm in front of them, taking all four wounds with 6s.

Turn 7: Evil priority
The remaining spider and bats retreated from the main elven battle line and engaged two elves. Thranduil, his resolve shaken after the near loss of his last battle, was forced to use a point of Will to avoid retreating. He led his force towards the remaining monsters.

The elf lunged at the spider, but the spider was able to nimbly dodge the blow. The remaining bat swarm massacred the elf warrior they fought.

Turn 8: Evil Priority
The spider and the bat swarm both engaged the lone elf while the Elven battle formation moved forward. The bats and spider were beaten back by the elven warrior, who could not muster enough strength to wound either.

Turn 9: Good priority
Thranduil, again feeling the fear, is forced to retreat from the enemies. His warriors, however, felt no fear and moved forward, engaging both the spider and the bat swarm.

Through the combined efforts of a sentinel (with spear support), a spearman, a bowman, and another warrior, the bat swarm was taken out. The spider, however, held out and took no wounds against a sentinel (with spear support), a spearman, a bowman, and a warrior.

Turn 10: Good priority
The elves surround the spider and swiftly and deliberately kill the final spider.

GOOD VICTORY!

Edit: For clarification
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alright, well, the battle didn't go too well for me, BUT Thranduil was forced to waste 2 points of Might and a point of Will. So, I think that it wasn't too bad.

Curunthir should be posting pics sometime soon, which will help that mess make more sense. :D

Anyway, I don't think any other reports will be as in-depth. This was just possible because of the small model count.

I hope you enjoy the read. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys sorry pics arent up yet but I am having trouble installing the program that i need to upload the pictures...just got this camera but once i get it going then i will post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

awesome battle report, brilliantly written. i love the narrative!! can't wait for pictures and i knew the elves would be victorious!! well done, curunthir!! can't wait for more battle reports!!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Stupid elves. Nice writing, my friend. Get those pictures up, joey! :x :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

alright guys well I think I have finally installed the camera program on my computer so I will have the photos up soon but if someone can help me to figure out how to post them up here it would help out also. Sorry it took so long and we have another battle report on scenario two soming up soon as we played it yesterday and well...lets just say it didnt go so well for me
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Try creating an account on photobucket.com - You can upload pics and produce codes for all your photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yeah, photobucket would be best...