All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Post subject: Scouring of the Shire II
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The original Scouring of the Shire was possibly one of the best received releases to hit the original version of the game. It had great new minis, a wonderful section on building your own Bag End and some cool scenarios. It isn't super surprising that a revisit to Hobbiton is in order. (I'll admit, I was expecting the wars against Sauron, high elves and Numenorians to be the next release, too.)

Check it out here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-1/

Scroll about 1/3 of the way down.

I really like the new hobbit hole, however, I wish it were plastic. I will probably buy exactly one. It lacks the kitbashing potential the Lake Town house has, which is a turn-off for me. Thomarillion also has some great hobbit hole fronts I've been meaning to order. Let's hope someone does a video on making the hilly part of the hobbit holes when it drops.

Let's not forget Deorwine, who's pretty darn nice, too. No release date for anything mentioned, though I suspect Deorwine is coming for late June and the others for late August/early September.

Who do you think the new Hobbits are? Will Golfimbul have a rules set again, or just be used as a captain? Will Grima finally get a mounted model? Will the original ruffians be rereleased too? (I've always liked them.) Will GW make other really cool scenery from the real Hobbiton for the book photos? Will you burn Hobbiton to the ground or beat back the attackers?

Post subject: Re: Scouring of the Shire II
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I’ll be able to resist The Scouring easy enough. It does look like it’s got some cool stuff for it but I’m not in love with the shire like I am other parts of ME. It does have the fun aspect of the hobbits coming home and staying “we did not just get back from putting down the dark lord to put up with this BS.”

However Deorowine is good news. I’ve been wondering if there was gonna be a model for him or not. I feel like I’ll be starting a Rohan army this year now that I know there’s a model for every profile in the list. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, Golfimbul will have rules again, as a hero in the Angmar army list.

There are 14 new characters in the book, of whom we have seen 11. The ones we can see on the Warhammer Community site include Farmer Tolman Cotton with pitchfork, Lotho Sackville-Baggins with book, and hobbit mayor Will Whitford. Some hobbits can work for the ruffians.

I think they're bound to re-release the original ruffians, or most people won't be able to take advantage of the book. There'll be advice on making hobbit-holes with the new kit in the source book.
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Will get to save some money on this go-around. Only one I am remotely interested in is Golfimbul.

Will be interested to see what they suggest for the hobbit hole, I would have been more interested if they had done some building in Hobbiton like the inn or the bridge.

Is it just me or is the shield for Deorwine on the wrong side of the horse?

Update - pictures of some hobbit holes at dakkadakka and a mention that the front door wall is reversible for some variety.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
Update - pictures of some hobbit holes at dakkadakka and a mention that the front door wall is reversible for some variety.

Do you have a link? I can't find it that quick on dakkadakka..
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry, should have included it.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/p ... e#10445184

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Apparently, it was mentioned during the presentation that the ruffians will be rereleased. I'm not sure what other models will be rereleased, as the original book's other models are mostly available. I would bet old Bilbo makes a showing. I love that purpley colour they are using on the hobbits. Huh, so the hole is reversible. I shall have to buy exactly two, then.

Some of the other scenario books in the past have had mixed material. Do you think there is enough Hobbiton for a whole book? The timeline in the original book suggests some tantalizing bits of history to be expanded upon, such as incursions by Sauron's minions and the period between the Hobbit and LoTR. (This is the time frame "The One Ring" RPG deals with. It's got some great ideas.) Judging from the history of the Dunedain and the Shire, there should be some good ranger action as well. I'm hoping for a new ranger hero!

What do you think of the new paints? I really want to go to the release for them so I can smear some hapless space marine with all sorts of hideous colours and see what they look like dry and highlighted. I'd like to try a brown on some horses maybe.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I guess there must be some historic scenarios as well as the main Scouring of the Shire. The re-release of Golfimbul suggests there'll be at least a Bandobras Took vs Golfimbul scenario. Though you can't get Bandobras at the moment, so maybe he might come back (though they didn't say that).

I think there are some more re-packs coming up too, eg. it looked like the Faramir/Damrod pack is changing to a three-pack with Faramir/Damrod/Madril.

Tried out the contrast paints. They're quite impressive. I wouldn't start using them on an existing army as the styles might not match. But if you were starting a new army they could be good to try. I think they might work best on models with big areas of a single colour, eg. space marines, goblin town, big trolls with lots of flesh colour etc. On things like that you really get the benefit of the extra speed.
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Mapper: thanks, seems very nice.
I think I will buy one or two hobbitsholes (or, at least, the fronts of it), if the price is not to much for me...

And I really hope that Bullroarer Took will be reprinted, would be very, very nice!
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For those buying the hobbit house parts, weta workshop has several hobbit houses for sale for inspiration.

Scenario - the Dunedain protecting the Shire from evil?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'll be very glad to add some more Hobbits to the collection. 24 (not counting characters) is nowhere near enough! In the meantime I'd better scrounge up some blue/pink foam to get ready for some Hobbit holes and hills. :-D
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sure, I'll buy some Scouring of the Shire, sounds pretty cool. I'm getting tired of buying the same books over and over though.

Those hobbit holes look great. Those weren't available the first time around, were they? Anyone remember?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

These hobbit holes are all-new for the SoS II release. However, the old book had instructions on how to make your own and the BGiME magazine issues in the late 80's and early 90's had instructions on how to make broken hobbit holes. Thomarillion sells other hobbit hole fronts, as well.

There was a resin hobbit hole available during the early days of the game, however, GW did not produce it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... -121397941

Hobbit hole previews are here! More on the final hobbit hole to be shown next week. The holes should be available shortly if they're previewing them already.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hobbit holes will be great fun to build, I will definitely be picking up enough for two. Hopefully not too long to wait.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/16/middle-earth-blog-hobbit-holes-around-the-officefw-homepage-post-4/?utm_source=GamesWorkshop.com&utm_campaign=85cac63cb6-GW_20th_May_Forbidden_Power_Preview_ENG&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c6e14e39d2-85cac63cb6-121397941

Hobbit hole previews are here!.

Nice.
Anyone hear a price on these?
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Btw, Ziterdes has been selling for some time those:

https://www.ziterdes.com/saver-set-herm ... 00010.html

That includes the terrain. Dont know for how much money will GW sell their version. I own one of this and one of the "Nalog", their weathertop version and they are pretty good for the amount they ask for. Of course they are not as good as forgeworld resin but they arent as pricey.

Im afraid GW will charge us for some big money for just a door and some chimmeys.

Ziterdes also sells some Lake Town Buildings and a Tomb of Balin setting.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

OK, I have to admit that the hobbit hole thing is completely underwhelming. Wouldn't it be so much cooler to just buy some windows and doors, a can of expanding foam, and go to town? The sizes and shapes of hobbit holes you could build are limitless. As it is, I could see buying a hobbit hole, but only one, and probably in part so I could make press molds of the parts I couldn't sculpt myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes, you can totally do this. The original SotS had instructions on how to do this. Most modelers carve their hobbit holes from insulation foam. If you cut into expanding foam, it is full of air bubbles that will make flocking your creation difficult. I would make a little cake of insulation foam and use fresh retractable knife blade extended all the way to carve my mound. Barrows are a great project to start with if you've never done this before, as they are similar in shape, but much smaller. Smear the thing with plaster gap filler to blend the base into the mound so it has a more natural shape.

For great windows and not round doors, check out any one of the great model train retailers. We are close to "O" scale, but windows especially can be of any size to look good.

As for Ziterdes, I prefer to order from Thomarillion. He's the sculptor for many of their products and has a huge range of things only available from him. I bought his elven bridge. He's also an amazing vendor to deal with. Great guy, great products, highly recommended.

Last edited by GreatKhanArtist on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The old Scouring of the Shire was excellent supplement so looking forward to having this one in my collection as well. It seems there is lot of new stuff fortunately.