All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:12 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: VAT rise for UK
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Quote:
The Increase in prices has more to do with the devaluation of your currency and higher and higher taxes than GW greed.

You are missing the point Charlie. I've no problem with GW if they fall in line with everything else. The price of everything will be 2.5% higher than what it was due to the tax increase. That is just how it is because the nation needs to recover. I honestly don't mind that if that is what it takes. My beef is that I know that GW prices will increase by more than the 2.5%. And yes - it is because they are greedily taking advantage of the situation. :no:

And do you honestly find it reasonable that their prices have doubled on some products in 10 years? Now if my annual salary had doubled in 10 years I would not mind that at all. But it hasn't, and isn't likely to increase anytime soon with an indefinite pay freeze on public sector workers.

Manufacturing left for the third world long before this tax increase. Believe me, I used to be in the industry, before the firm I worked for was bought up by Americans and moved to Poland and China. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

... I almost wish I has stopped following this thread. Now I'm hacked off.
I'm in America, like Old Man Willow, so this whole VAT thing theoretically doesn't affect me. But I know this:

In the summer of '03, when I started collecting, a 3 warrior blister for LotR was $5, and a one model hero blister ranged between $4 and $6. Today, on the GW website, that same 3 warrior blister is $15, and hero blisters are $24.75 and up. I think it would be cheaper if I ordered from the UK and paid shipment costs. I understand that it costs them something to get everything shipped over here, but you can't tell me it's enough to justify a 400%+ price increase like that.
Yeah, I'm never buying direct from GW again. I'll do without if I can't find the minis I want elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
do you honestly find it reasonable that their prices have doubled on some products in 10 years

No I do not. I do not want to to put myself in a position to defend Games Workshop.I am not going to.
The VAT is added at every stage of production. You will pay way more than your government claims.Your currency is still in trouble too. I would not bet my house cat GW will be open in 5 years.

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
do you honestly find it reasonable that their prices have doubled on some products in 10 years

no

i'm not really old enough to understand all of this but all i know is gw will take this vat increase to make extra profit in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I'm in America, like Old Man Willow, so this whole VAT thing theoretically doesn't affect me.

No it does. Cost includes license and taxes. Cost of production + UK VAT and other taxes + USA taxes + devalued currency =Bad news .
The cost of that license includes High US income tax, federal regulations and devalued US currency too+ the fear of High cost of Obama care. Like I said corporations don't pay taxes we do.Government does not produce wealth it destroys wealth.

I am sorry to hear about the wage freeze. I went through that during the 1970's it did not turn out well. I hope you can get buy with a little side business of some kind. My wages were frozen again the last ten years I worked. I had to work two full time jobs. My wife took over my father in laws business as well.

Let's let this topic die. I would like TOR to be a fun place to get away from economics and politics. I would rather make new friends than argue and make people mad. :E :puppy:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I can certainly agree to that.
This is supposed to be the friendly LotR gaming fansite, darn it! :-X :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Agreed. Thread getting way too heavy but we only moan because we are so passionate about our hobby.

Anyhow, A Happy New Year to all One-Ringers! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

yup i think this topics been done to death now . . . . .

but like i said you can simply trade your minis with other members in the trading fourm of you want something different :)

TOPIC LOCKED

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2